Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School Supplies / Class supplies

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you happily purchase needed items for classrooms

Options:

Yes! of course!

No! That's what my tax dollars are for!

Maybe...depends on items/reason

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 95

View Results

How do you feel about teachers requesting supplies for the classroom (tissues, hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes, dry erase markers, class snacks (in case kids dont bring them that day), pencils, correction pens......etc...)? 

I recently went to our school for something noticed at the entry way was a "wish list" of sorts. each teachers name was on a "slot" and the teacher had written what they needed for the class on slips of paper, to be taken by parents to purchase....

I grabbed several from each of my childrens teachers (I have 3 kids)....

I went to the local walmart and dollar tree and filled 3 plastic baskets w/ the requested items and took to the classrooms. The teachers were VERY greatful.

I told one of my friends (another parent) about it, and asked if anyone else had seen the bulletin board...she wasn't impressed with the idea and said that is why she pays taxes an the school should supply such things....

I agree with her, but also know a lot of teachers that end up purchasing these items from their own money for the students.......

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Replies (81-90):
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I put my kids names on EVERYTHING - thy took their OWN bottle of hand sanitizer and their OWN mini packs of tissue!  I'm sorry if that sucked for the few that REALLY needed the extra help but I was SO DONE being used! 

IMO - makers in preschool is just stupid... You KNOW kids don't cap them, they smash the points.. crayons are age appropriate.  they need to really look at the waste in classrooms as well. I use dry erase markers with my kids and YES.. OMG even with "proper" use they dry out fast!  So make the kids bring their own and the teacher doesn't have to share his/hers!

Just realize that even though your kid's name is on the supplies, if a kid needs something quickly, they may well use your child's if its closest at hand.  

Markers are the easist writing/drawing utensil for some children with fine motor issues.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

As a teacher, I don't mind providing stuff like that.  I know that many times, they'll get it out of their pocket.  I buy notecards for my classes each week.

family in the van   Mom of four

Kris_PBG
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Quoting raven1114:

There are virtually no chalkboards in use anymore due to the respitory issues associated with chalk dust. (specifically the gypsum in the chalk).

I fail to see the issue contributing to the classes' dry erase markers so my child can learn and be taught safely and effectively.
raczac
by Cindi on May. 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

At the beging of the year we have a list of supplies that are to be purchased for the class for the school year. Then every so often we get a list sent home requesting items to be sent in. For snack each child in the class has one day a month to take in snack for the class. We figured it out and it was cheaper for us to send snacks in one day a month rather than hace to send in a snack everyday of the year for our children. All the classes in our childrens school do snack differently so I don't know how it will be done next year as this is our first year in school.

Kris_PBG
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Quoting WesternNYmom:

I am okay with purchasing things like pens, pencils, scissors, and glue and other supplies that the students need to complete assignment in the classroom, but I don't get why the schools make the  parents purchase tissues, antibacterial soap, hand wipes, and wipes for cleaning the classroom.  Isn't that what school taxes are for?  I got my dd's list for 3rd grade and 1/3 of the list is hygene and house keeping supplies. I was actually suprised that they didn't request rolls of  Toilet paper, but I suspect the school might add it to the list in the next few years thanks to all the budget cuts in our district.

The reality is those items are not provided. If you want your child to be in a clean, hygienic class room parents need to step in to provide those items. The other option is you expect your child's teachers to provide all of these items all year, or your child doesn't have access to them... :(. KWIM?

Personally, I'd much rather buy them and appreciate that his teacher makes efforts to cut down on germs so he (and his friends) can stay healthy! :)
mommybug77
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I have 3 I have to buy supplies for all ready. We supply for our kids and I expect others to supply for theirs.
CrazedMomof2
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

We always purchase a few things from the list wish each year as well as bring in items for special projects. If it helps the kids and I can help I like to!

SP_Mama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Yes.  Any time the teacher has sent home a wish list we've bought what she was asking for...as long as we had the money. 

gabrielsmom2006
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Every month our son's teacher sent out a newsletter letting us know the topics of the month, sight words,announcements, birthdays, snack schedule etc. and at the bottom there was always the wish list. I have no problem helping out as long as it's going to make my child's time at school just a little better that day (;

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Of course. In my state/dustrict wr have very liw property taxes, which go to schools. So the indivudal parents pay/buy more. I didnt kniw there were different ways till I met my df and his dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)