Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I am just curious, does anyone else have to pay for full day kinder? I live in Arizona and all the schools I have looked into are charging 150 to 250 for full day kinder, half day is free but I see more benefits from full day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Wow, I didn't know they cut back on educational funding that much in AZ. We moved to another state a month before my son was supposed to start kindergarten in Phoenix. He was originally enrolled in the Madison district, and they had full day kinder without fees at that time.

Where I live now, they voted and passed a bill that mandated free kindergarten and improved early childhood education, and it is paid through property taxes. So all kids here have free all day kindergarten now in our city.

Shaynas_Mommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Half days are not an option in my county (I'm in Indiana). She will go full days, and it's free.

fallnangel3
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Here it was like that till they made full day manditory for all kinders. My oldest was in half day, my other two did/will do full day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurplePieguy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Nope, not here. I'm not even sure half day K is even offered. My DD goes to full K and we don't pay.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

We only have half day kindergarten. They go from 8:10-12:20 and leave at 12:30 if they have lunch at school.

I actually thought it was the perfect amount of school for both of my kids at that age. They are both now doing great in 2nd and 4th grade as well.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I should say "at our school". Other schools offer full day.....................

All kindergarten is free where we live in CA.

MeggieLee22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Kindergarten is free here as well.  Full day, no half day available.

Pre-K costs money unless the child is special needs.  Jillian qualified because she had a speech delay but Mya did not.  Pre-K is only a few days a week for less than half a day (3 hrs or so I believe) so we didn't bother for Mya.  Didn't seem necessary.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Our district charges $650 for the school yr for full day and there is a lottery system to fill the slots. Half day K cost $125 for the yr. If you don't get in full day you have no choice but for half day, or go to a private school.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Our district only does half day... and I'm GLAD.   I think full day would be way too much at this age.   It's a good transition in.

If you're paying for full-day... I'm assuming you're really just paying for the extra daycare?   They all have to be taught the same stuff in kindergarten, so it's not like your child will be "ahead" or anything.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
cav629
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM
We actually talked to the teachers and the difference is after lunch they go back over the stuff they learned in the am and incorporate it with science, social studies and art. Which I think will be good. We don't pay for day care we are doing full day because feel it will be good for him.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Our district only does half day... and I'm GLAD.   I think full day would be way too much at this age.   It's a good transition in.

If you're paying for full-day... I'm assuming you're really just paying for the extra daycare?   They all have to be taught the same stuff in kindergarten, so it's not like your child will be "ahead" or anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN