Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I am just curious, does anyone else have to pay for full day kinder? I live in Arizona and all the schools I have looked into are charging 150 to 250 for full day kinder, half day is free but I see more benefits from full day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
rhymia
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Kindergarten is free here and the majority of schools is full day K. Only the bigger districts that don't have the room still offer 1/2 day K. That said several of our school districts have talked about doing away with K entirely, as it is not a mandated service. And they are going broke trying to provide what is mandated.

Threes.Company
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Our district in Illinois offers full or half-day kindergarten.  Both are free and paid for by taxes.  We do have yearly school fees, but no monthly payments or anything.  Full-day kindergarten is the district's preference.  They will accomodate parents wanting half-day, but the half-day program is not really at your home school.  It is likely at a school across town and your child would be bussed to-and-from.  Most parents opt for full day.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, okay... see, our school offers those extra classes after school and you can pick and choose what you want to participate in.   Then there's also putting your child into activities outside of school, which is my preference and why I have an issue with the school day being so long.  It doesn't leave much time for foreign language, music, art classes, sports, etc...  I'd much prefer a shorter day so I can provide those things to my child afterward.

Whenever I hear parents around here gripe about the 1/2 day kinder, it's because they work and don't want to pay for the extra daycare.  

Quoting cav629:

We actually talked to the teachers and the difference is after lunch they go back over the stuff they learned in the am and incorporate it with science, social studies and art. Which I think will be good. We don't pay for day care we are doing full day because feel it will be good for him.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Our district only does half day... and I'm GLAD.   I think full day would be way too much at this age.   It's a good transition in.

If you're paying for full-day... I'm assuming you're really just paying for the extra daycare?   They all have to be taught the same stuff in kindergarten, so it's not like your child will be "ahead" or anything.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Joyzap2003
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

i don't remember how much I had to pay for my kids to go to Kindergarten...that was a long time ago.  My oldest just graduated from college and my youngest will be starting high school in the fall.  My Mother saved everything and last week when i was going through some stuff in storage I found a receipt that showed that my parents paid $6.00 when I started Kindergarten.  There was also a little book that showed that my parents paid $3.00 a day for the preschool I went to.

melaniecerise
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

kindergarten at public schools is free for me

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Kindergarten in NY is free also unless you choose to send your child to a private school.

parkerkamismom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

We do.  Our district is all day every OTHER day so if wanted to send our kids all day every day, it's $3000 for the year.

We did this with both of our kids - in our opinion, the benefits were worth it.  Plus, we'd pay for daycare anyway so it was a wash.

sparkina13
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Quoting gcstar42:

Nope all the schools here have full day kindergarten for free. I have never heard of paying for kinder except for at private schools.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
pregnancy
JocelynsMama1
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM

i live in KY and have never heard of that...here half day preschool is free for some who qualify and the other half of the day is pay and more like daycare...or if you dont qualify u have the option to pay for school or school and daycare...but all counties are different on the payments for preschool (at least in our state)....and in KY kindergarten is mandatory so its free in all public schools....oh and its not offered at half day anymore it went to full day several years ago

kustomkidz
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Public schools in Houston are full day kinder at no charge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)