Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
We have had our dog for almost 11yrs. since she was 5 wks old. She has been the most wonderful dog but she has gotten a tumor on her side. Its broken through the skin and is now a nasty open wound. She has to go back to the vet but im procrastinating. I know they are going to want to put her down and the thought of having to tell my kids that is so sad! How would you tell your kids that when they get home from school their dog will be gone? Would you tell them before so they can say goodbye or just tell them after? Please be kind this is hard enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Replies (21-22):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM
My dd (6) has already been through the loss of my moms dogs. We just had to put my black lab dog( was at my moms and got attacked by a hog. Back broken and paralized and he was 11.
I would just explain to them what speaks going on. I personally recommend doing it prior to putting him down so they can say goodbye, So you are having to put him down. Maybe give him one last super meal like a steak and please babe there with him during the process. I couldn't be there for my tucker but had to be, last Thursday,for a dog who was hit in front of my house. ( putting someone else's dog down was so hard. Didn't know who the owner was. But we found them yesterday
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

There are amazing cancer treatments for pets now a days.  This may not be the end of the line for your wonderful dog. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN