Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To *not* put DD in the same class as another student?

DD is in K and I turned in her 1st grade registration at the same school for next year.

The thing is, they try to place friends in the same classes. My DD is "best friends" with two girls. One of them she was in pre-K with and is a really sweet kid. The other girl DD met in K. That's the girl I'm concerned about.

She's not a "bad" kid... but she does bully the other kids in class, and it's rubbing off on DD... DD is very social, friendly and always was. But lately the teachers say DD is telling kids she "hates them" and yelling sometimes. When I talk to DD about it she tells me "I don't like so-so". When I ask her why, she says "Well T* doesn't like him/her so we don't let him/her play house with us". etc. I had to explain to DD she should be nice to all her friends.

T* is also getting red for behavior several times a week because she acts out and doesn't play nice. (green-red behavior system). DD usually gets green, but began to get yellow-orange. After I talked to the teachers, at their suggestion they wanted to move T* chair away from DD, and not allow T* and DD to sit together on the rug. So they did and immediately DD went back to green. Of course, I also talked to DD and made her take responsibility for her own behavior.

Anyways, the teachers said DD is starting to only want to play with T* and not playing nice with kids. IDK. DH told me just ask the school not to be in a class with T*. But I feel guilty doing that. I also feel a bit like a helicopter mom... lol am I picking and choosing DD's friends already??? She and T* love each other. What would you do?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-12):
imabitweird
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You can ask...but I dont think not having your dd in the class with the other child would help. There will always be bullies...you just have to do your part and make sure you redirect her behavior.

TheMommaJessie
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

yes you can ask the school not to place her in the same class as T*. Just tell them that T*'s behavior is rubbing off on your daughter and you wish for them to be seperated as for your daughter not to be influenced by T*.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)