Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Keeping kids busy during the summer months

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you have any plans for your child(ren) during the summer? I'm worried I won't be able to keep them entertained this summer. My two boys 4 and 6 fight constantly and get into things when they're bored. I signed my 4 year old up for acting classes, but it's only 3 classes. Any ideas?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Threes.Company
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

This summer my kids will be 5, 3.5 and 2.5.  We spend most of our time at the pool.  I go to the gym 6 days a week, too, so they spend time there for an hour or so per day.  Plus we have them in swimming lessons, gymnastics class (one hour a week) and a vacation Bible school for a week.  That is more than enough, as far as I am concerned! :)  I enjoy the laid-back feel of summer.  I don't like to have too much pre-planned.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM

We go to the pool or the park. I look for different day camps for them to try.  We like to go camping too so we'll do as much of that as possible.  We'll hit the museums and ride the trolley one day.  Mostly I'll just take the cues from the kids as far as what they want to do

MeggieLee22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

We play outside quite a lot in the summer.  My neighbor has a pool so we go swimming.  Jillian goes to ESY (extended school year) so that gives her some sense of routine

We've also got lots of coloring books, blank paper, and some bead kits to make bracelets for when it's rainy.

Usually they will lounge in the morning (we're not morning folks) the play outside the rest of the day.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Both of my kids will be playing soccer this summer.  I also plan to sign my kids up for the free summer reading clubs at the local library.  The rest of the summer we will spend in the pool in the backyard, or at the park.  I also plan to take my kids to the Buffalo Zoo, and the Children's Museum in Rochester.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

We are hoping to get my son a pool pass--along with a friend of his. I work full time, and the friend's mom is willing to have my son over a couple times a week so my son can go to the pool along with her son and daughter. The daughter chose a friend too for this deal.

I'm also planning on signing my son up for tennis lessons at a nearby rec center. It's advertised through Commy Ed and the Rec Center, but it is another organization that provides the classes. It's an hour a day, five days a week for six weeks.

parkerkamismom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Community Education offers a lot of activies for the summer and at reasonable prices.  Anything from t-ball to soccer to swimming to day trips, etc.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

We go camping, they play w/ friends in the neighborhood, go to the neighborhood pool, they play outside, and get sent to their rooms if they spend too much time fighting.

kittiecat88
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM
I'm at a loss also. I just had a baby 4 weeks ago so shell be so little I won't be able to do much wth my 6 year old :/ and when he gets bored he is grumpy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM
this is their last summer as the only 2, we have a baby coming in September. we got kings island passes, a week at Disney planned. otherwise, outside or at the pool. maybe a trip to the zoo on a midwife visit day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeingMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Check out your local rec center. We just movedto a new town and dont know that many people.  I looked into our local rec and that have tons of stufffor the kids throughte whole summer.  Most of the programs are really affordable here.   I am signing my daughter up for gymnastics and soccer later on and my son for soccer and maybe swimming lessons.  THe programs here each last about a month or two.  We also do lots of time outdoors at the park, and sometimes I take them to chucke e cheese just to play the games.  At home we do painting, blow bubbles,and I even let them put their swimsuits on and play in the tub.  They love it, and its cheap.  I hope some of the ideas help.  Have a great Summer with your boys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN