Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hamster on the Horizon (piog)

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
  • 3 Replies

Yes...

I have made a commitment to bring the fuzzy, family-friendly rodent into our abode.

My son's preschool has two cages.  One has "daddy" hamster and the other, "mommy" hamster.

Mommy is very fertile and so far this school year she has produced 15 babies. 

This "batch" has three; little like these:

So, my son has been campaigning for a hamster of his very own.  If he hadn't already shown compassion for his 22+ year old cat and his one year old fish, I would have nixed this right away, but he's very conscious of their needs and doesn't complain about feeding and loving them up.

Consequently, I told him I would ask for one of the babies.  The teacher said that only one other had a tentative hold on it, so it's a "go" for hammy.

Hoping the new addition will teach DS that raw veggies and fruits are yummy!

He is beside himself with excitement.  He even has the name picked out.  A boy's name, of course...just like him.  I told him he needs to think of a girl's name, too.  Much harder for him.  LoL

---

I need to 'fess up.  Personally, hamsters are a pet that makes me smile.  I wanted one so badly when I was young and finally got him when I was 10.  He lived two years.  I'm hoping this little one will be a family pet for at least that long. 

Does your family own a hamster (or guinea pig...mouse...rat?)

by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

We don't own one, but I hope you get one. If my son had shown more interest in our cats, we might have considered getting him one as a pet.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM

We have owned two hamsters. One was a Dwarf hamster named "Harry" and the other was a regular hamster named "Buddy".

Harry passed away 2 yrs ago. And the decided a few months later to get me a hamster for mother's day. So I ended up with Buddy. He lived for almost 2 yrs. He just passed away a few weeks ago.

Harry

Buddy

snidekitty1
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

We have a gerbil named Minnie.  She is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN