Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Its too hard mommy

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

How do you handle this statement when a child tells you?   We got her a 48 piece puzzle tonight to help in her OT.  She is 6 and thought it would be perfect since the puzzle was aged 4+.  All I can think of is keep encouraging her to try to do it.  There is no picture for a guide either for the puzzle. 

Fairy Fantasy Jigsaw Puzzle - 48 Pieces

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/fairy-fantasy-jigsaw-puzzle

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM

If you know of any other puzzles she can do, please guide me to the right place.  We were told not to do the cheap cardboard ones since they fall apart very easily.

heathercm26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM
4 moms liked this
Self esteem comes from struggling then success. Everything is hard and she needs little victories like this to build her confidence. Keep challenging her. Its ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM
I buy cardboard puzzles with a guide picture to follow. There are really cheap $dollar puzzles and mid priced ones. I've never had one "fall apart" on me. I've done puzzles with my mom since I was a kid. I'm 35 and won't do one without a picture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Quoting heathercm26:

Self esteem comes from struggling then success. Everything is hard and she needs little victories like this to build her confidence. Keep challenging her. Its ok

Thank you for the encouragement.   I realize that she need to build her self esteem.  I have struggled with it and so has her daddy (even though he wont admit it).  Kindergarten is the time to really tackle these things I like to think rather than feeling defeated in an older grade.  Her daddy is putting it together so we can try again tomorrow with it otherwise the cat will hide pieces.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Quoting chinosruca:

I buy cardboard puzzles with a guide picture to follow. There are really cheap $dollar puzzles and mid priced ones. I've never had one "fall apart" on me. I've done puzzles with my mom since I was a kid. I'm 35 and won't do one without a picture.

For this age should we look for the ones that have a border like a cardboard background or the freeform ones?  I am really lost since I am not a puzzle person myself.  I like crosswords more.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I'd say freeform.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting chinosruca:

For this age should we look for the ones that have a border like a cardboard background or the freeform ones?  I am really lost since I am not a puzzle person myself.  I like crosswords more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colbys_mom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM
I buy the disney ones from walmart. They are cardboard and I never have a problem with them. They are like 5 bucks. And definately come in her favourite disney characters or movie or whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombimomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Dollar Tree has a varitey of puzzles for a buck, and they have Disney ones - 25 piece to 48 piece. 

nonnahsregah40
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

If she needs a picture- put the puzzle together and take a pic and print it. Might help her if she visualises it

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Has she done 24 piece ones before? If not, maybe start w/ those, and as she sees she can do those, her confidence will build and she might be more willing to try the 48 piece ones.

We've never had any problems w/ the cardboard ones. We have some that we've had since our 13 y/o was about 4, and my kids are not always gentle w/ things : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)