Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your child a grazer?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

6 year old DS likes to snack at night. He is not a breakfast guy, and it's hit or miss with his lunch, depending on the day. At night he'll eat his dinner and then will ask for two or three snacks. If your kids do or did this, how did you transition them out of it? Thanks.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
auroragold
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:01 AM

DD must have a snack somewhere around 8-9pm before bed or she'll wake up starving.

That said, she eats a decent (but not large) breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, a late afternoon snack and dinner. None of the meals are LARGE

PinkParadox
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM
You have to set their schedule. Mine do get a small night snack...but, they only get one and they eat a small breakfast & lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Yes, both my older kids are grazers~ my eldest is more so than my middle child tho. We just try to limit the snacking. I've got her down to breakfast, 2 snacks, lunch, 2 snacks and dinner then another snack if she needs it. I also make sure she eats her lunch or dinner before she gets another snack because she would much rather snack than eat a dinner or lunch.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Ds2 would much rather graze his way through the day than sit and eat actual meals. For the most part, as long as he eats some at each meal, and has something w/ some nutrition in it when he snacks, I don't fight it too much.

Ds1 is also a grazer on school days. He doesn't wake up hungry, so he only has some apple sauce and a fruit bar for breakfast, has a decent lunch, a big snack after school (he gets home at 3, lunch was at noon, and dinner isn't until at least 6:30), eats a good dinner, and still sometimes has a snack before bed. In his case, he's a growing teen, so I just put a cut-off time on the bedtime snack ("No, you are not eating now, it's 9 p.m, get in bed!")

Dd eats a good breakfast and dinner, but would rather graze through the rest of the day instead of eating lunch. I handle it the same as ds2- get some nutrition in there, eat decently at the meals she does eat, and we're good.

All 3 are healthy, happy kids; they just have their own eating styles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)