Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Boxed/processed foods

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM
  • 67 Replies

How often do you use them in your meals?

Flavored rices and pastas?
Boxed potatoes? 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Almost Never...

We do use Annie's boxed mac-n-cheese with rice pasta sometimes. My kids have lots of food allergies so I make almost everything from scratch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Yes, I'll admit it, I use them a lot, esp. the packages of flavored mashed potatoes.

jillbailey26
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I'll use boxed pasta, not flavored though.  I just don't make it fresh.  Otherwise, I don't use boxed food.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

auroragold
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM

No judgements :)

I wonder how you manage sodium intake though?

DH and I were having a..... "CONVERSATION" about his desire for such boxed items and my refusal to purchase them due to sodium levels

Quoting wakymom:

Yes, I'll admit it, I use them a lot, esp. the packages of flavored mashed potatoes.

ramonafrog
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Almost never. Flavored rice maybe one a week. My kids like the yellow saffron rice. Or mac n cheese maybe once a week.
We don't do hamb helper or any other "complete meal" from a box.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Quoting auroragold:

No judgements :)

I wonder how you manage sodium intake though?

DH and I were having a..... "CONVERSATION" about his desire for such boxed items and my refusal to purchase them due to sodium levels

Quoting wakymom:

I rarely add salt to anything and get the "No Salt Added" canned veggies. We don't get luncheon meat that often, although our hot dog intake does go up in camping season. We don't use canned soup often, either; I just use it some for cooking.

Strega
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Never. The last time I did was for an Influencer, Potatoes and Hamburger Helper. Husband thought both were "okay", everyone else hated them.

It's just not cooking to me, or healthy for our Family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Almost never. My kids like my homemade baked mac and cheese but still love kraft as well lol... I buy boxed pasta but its not flavored... I use it for spaghetti sauce and sometimes butter and garlic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombimomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Occasionally we buy Annie's white cheddar mac 'n cheese, and DH will sometimes buy instant mash potatoes (we use them in soups like clam chowder instead of flour). We also buy french fries (0 trans fat) and Tyson all natural chicken nuggets for 'junk food' nights, once a week. Other than that, we don't even buy processed cheese slices.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

On rare occasion I will use a bullion cube or box of veggie broth. It's very rare and I usually feel my body reacting to the sodium.

Everything else (including salad dressing most of the time) is from scratch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN