Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How often do you use them in your meals?

Flavored rices and pastas?
Boxed potatoes? 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Replies (51-60):
cmfarm
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I use them quite a bit.

livewell
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hardly EVER...we grow most of our own food, have dairy cows for our milk and che3ese and our own eggs and meat too...

HairClipQueen
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:09 AM

THIS.  BUt, once in awhile I will get the kraft mac and cheese, (whole wheat kind). I buy my pasta from the box, and I buy a huge sack of Basmati rice, if I want to add flavor I cook it home made broth already made that I take out of the freezer.

Quoting jen113000:

Almost never. My kids like my homemade baked mac and cheese but still love kraft as well lol... I buy boxed pasta but its not flavored... I use it for spaghetti sauce and sometimes butter and garlic!

smushy79
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I dont.

Lynn750
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Several times a week!  I never add salt to anything, though.  I work from 6:30 am-5:30 pm five days a week, and with two kids, their homework, projects, book reports, and an hour of reading every night, I just don't have the time or desire to spend a lot of time cooking.  We also eat out a lot on the weekends.  I don't really like to cook, even when I do have the time.  I give my kids fruit every day, but we aren't big vegetable eaters, either.  Oh, well.  We're healthy and happy, and I"m just not going to worry about it. 

We eat far better than I did growing up.  My mom hardly ever cooked, never bought fruits or vegetables, and we ate a lot of mac n' cheese, grilled cheese sand's, and cereal for dinner until I learned how to make other things.  I remember really enjoying going to my grandma's house over the summer, because she bought us lots of fruit, and we loved it!  I asked my mom to buy the kind of bread grandma had.  I'd never seen wheat bread before!

tennisgal
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Never the ones you mentioned. But I can't make spaghetti sauce. I've tried several times and haven't been successful, so I buy it in the jars, and my DH loves tortilla chips and pretzels. That's about as processed as my grocery list gets. It definitely takes some planning ahead, but hey, you do what you gotta do. 

avonleafan
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:06 AM

We will occasionally buy organic rissotto, and will buy a bag of brown rice with which to cook, but not really anything else. We used to, very frequently, but have really changed our eating habits over the past year or so.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Yes, we used boxed items for convenience. However, I seen my meat using Mrs. Dash which has no sodium. I try and look for items that say reduced sodium and compare other items on the shelf to make sure that they are actually made with less sodium. If I put butter in my veggies, I don't add salt since butter is already salted. (I don't like unsalted butter.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Rarely. Most processed crap has artificial colors in them, which my kids react badly to, or some form of MSG (yeast extact, autolyzed yeast extract, etc), which I just don't find an acceptable thing to feed anyone and something that I react to (get shaky and irritable) if I accidentally have when we eat out sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danichaos
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:07 AM
The only boxed stuff I use regularly is wine :)

Ds has snack cracker things in his lunch and fruit strips. We also use prepackaged seasonings and Spanish rice but everything else is scratch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)