Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons class gave his teacher a surprise baby shower she had the baby last month and the kids really miss her, well 3 moms planned it and only 4 bought stuff for it out ofa class of 28 kids, we had cupcakes, cookies, punch and mints. Well two kids came over to say they couldnt eat anything allergic to tree nuts ( we do go out of our way to bring in peanut free things) and another kid couldnt have anything with gelatin and two others were lactose intolerent, i felt bad but i think the two of us that brought food shouldnt have to meander our way through every kids allergies or parents preferences for food ( which we also have this) do other of you moms go through this when planning a class celebration, or have kids in this situation, do u send in appropriate food for them or just have the kid miss out, or teach your kid not to complain ( these kids did) and just say no thank u,i know its hard and scary to have a health concern like this, but to put that on someone else to plan everything and then have to find treats that everyone can have is hard these days with all of this, i thank u all for your advice on this issue
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (11-13):
kmjmlj
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I wouldn't want a child left out at the same time I understand both my kids classes are like same few parents show up for meetings volunteer and send stuff for parties and such so I send what I want no matter 25-30 kids and typically 4 parents help but other parents moan and groan stop complaining and pitch in its your child as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

This is kind of my feeling too.  Either put up or shut up.  IF you know your kid has special dietary needs, then volunteer to bring the special foods.  My kids are in 3rd and 5th and I suppose someone might have an allergy, but our school doesn't make a big deal out of the allergy.  They leave it to the parent of the kid that is affected and move on.  No matter what is done, someone will complain and not be happy.

Quoting kmjmlj:

I wouldn't want a child left out at the same time I understand both my kids classes are like same few parents show up for meetings volunteer and send stuff for parties and such so I send what I want no matter 25-30 kids and typically 4 parents help but other parents moan and groan stop complaining and pitch in its your child as well

Tara922c
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I say if you know about the allergy in advance, try to bring something that can all of the children can eat. I don't mean that every item should have to be allergen free, but make sure everyone will get at least something (with the exception of a severe allergy that could kill a child). I would have brought a fruit tray, veggie tray, small cupcakes, little bottled waters, and punch.

Consider yourself lucky. My daughter's school district does not allow outside food and beverages to be served to the students with the exception of a class party (and even then the kids have to take the snacks home, the school provides cupcakes). Each class can only have two parites per year, winter and Valentines, so a baby shower wouldn't even be allowed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)