Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

class party ?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
My sons class gave his teacher a surprise baby shower she had the baby last month and the kids really miss her, well 3 moms planned it and only 4 bought stuff for it out ofa class of 28 kids, we had cupcakes, cookies, punch and mints. Well two kids came over to say they couldnt eat anything allergic to tree nuts ( we do go out of our way to bring in peanut free things) and another kid couldnt have anything with gelatin and two others were lactose intolerent, i felt bad but i think the two of us that brought food shouldnt have to meander our way through every kids allergies or parents preferences for food ( which we also have this) do other of you moms go through this when planning a class celebration, or have kids in this situation, do u send in appropriate food for them or just have the kid miss out, or teach your kid not to complain ( these kids did) and just say no thank u,i know its hard and scary to have a health concern like this, but to put that on someone else to plan everything and then have to find treats that everyone can have is hard these days with all of this, i thank u all for your advice on this issue
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

When the kids were in school, we were given lists of things that EVERYONE in class could have so that only appropriate items were brought in, AND/OR we provided the students with issues a note stating the date and time of the party and asking their parent to please send in an appropriate treat for their child. 

It was never an issue that I hearsd of and it seemed they had a stupid time wasting party for every little holiday

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I can see why you wanted it to be a surprise for the teacher, but, imo, you really should've checked for allergies/intolerances ahead of time. 

In the lower grades that still do snacks, the teachers send home a note at the beginning of the yr letting us know of any allergies that are in the room so we can send in appropriate snacks. Some of the parents send in alternative snacks for their kids (dd has a wheat allergy in her class, and that child's mom sends in a separate snack for the teacher to keep on hand). Dd is lactose intolerant, and if there's milk in their snack, she just goes to the nurse to get a Lactaid before eating. 

auroragold
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I think it is imperative that you "meander your way through various allergies" if you want to include ALL the children who are/were close to the teacher. I think it's unconscionable NOT to do that.

Now as for parent preferences - -that's a different animal that need not happen at a school party.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My son has a child in his grade with a peanut allergy, and we accommodate that. When I know they are in the same class, I buy things that I have been told are safe for him. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

We get a note sent home on the first day of school outlining any allergies in the class and a list of safe snacks/treats to send into class.  Some allegies can be life threatening and just being in the same room with it can send a child to the ER.  I wouldn't want to have that on my conscience, so it is much easier to provide treats that everyone can have IMO.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the parents should have found out if there were any allergies in the class and figured out what to serve that everyone could have.  And, I know from having seen it first hand, if a child simply says "No thank you." they are frequently pushed to "just try a bite"  The kid is much better off to say " I can't eat it. I have an allergy."  If  I had a child with an allergy, I'd make sure something was there that he/she could eat at all times but I'd appreciate parents trying to get something he could eat along with the others so that he wasn't left out.  I've never heard of anyone serving mints at a children's party - wonder if that's regional.

JonesMama
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

In my son's class, there is a boy with a peanut allergy. At party times, they have always said to send in stuff with no nuts. Nobody has a problem with it. At the Valentine's party, I was sending in goody bags, and realized after I bought stuff that some of it was processed in a facility that also processes nuts. So I emailed the parent of the kid with the peanut allergy and we decided that I'd just fill his goody bag with extra non-candy things...extra slinkys, notepads, pencils, tattoos, etc. That way, I was still accommodating him, but didn't have to run out and spend more money on more candy/treats. For my son's birthday, I emailed the teacher because ds wanted to bring in cupcakes and there's always the risk of cross contamination with bakery items since the bakery uses nuts in other things. She said to go ahead with the cupcakes, and she has a box of safe snacks for the boy, so she gave him something from there.

In the futures, I'd ask about allergies first. Ideally, the teacher should let parents know in the beginning of the year and remind again at party times.

endurablemist
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:43 AM

We also get a list of allergies the first week of school. There is a boy in her class that has a severe peanut, and egg allergy. I would hate to be responsible if something happened to him. In a case like yours you had 5 children that couldn't eat anything because the parents involved didn't want to go through allergy list. Luckily the kids knew they couldn't eat what was there, what would you have done had one of them ate something they shouldn't have?  That could have been deadly. I understand that their parents should have helped with the party, or brought food that they could eat, but they probably also thought that since the kids allergies are known, that they were safe.

matofour
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I always accommodate every allergy. I know if it were my kid I would not want them left out, and while it may be a little more work its well worth it for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmfarm
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Did the other parents even know there was going to be a party? I am really starting to get sick of people complaining that they have to cater to kids with food allergies. These are just kids, they shouldn't have to suck it up while all there friends get to eat all the good stuff. I don't even have a kid with allergies, and I can see how unfair it is to not try and accommodate them. I think it is a little silly to waist class time for a baby shower anywhase, schools have enough parties as it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)