Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering at age 6

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

My Daughter is such a sweet heart! She told me the other day that she was crying in her room that night. I said, Alley, why, what happened? She said, I miss God and Jesus. I want to see them. I said, well, I hope thats many many life times away. She said, when we are sad, we need to speak up and not be shy. Then she says mommy, I dont think I can help everyone pay for their house, I may not have that much money. I said Alley, hun thats ok, you dont have to do that, just be there for people when they need you. She said, I want to get can foods so I can feed people. Awww! I love her so much! She is always thinking of others. I have always told her to help others and never to expect things in return. I have raised such a sweet girl and I hope she continues to be this sweet. What can a 6 year old do in her community to help others. Do you have any ideas what she can do to volunteer at her age?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

The library.

They always need help putting books away, keeping things organized.  My DD and I started volunteering when she was about 5 years old. There's plenty she can do there

renijazzysmom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM
My 6 and 5 year olds volunteer at the USO.
You could always try a food kitchen or if you go to church she could help in the nursery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Library, food kitchen, your church, she could help with a food drive, homeless shelter . . . the list is endless really.

lauraand3kids
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

These sound good. I thought at her age it may be hard to help volunteer. I thought you may have to be at least 13 or older. We havent been to church in a long while because of my school. I am so busy with homework and my family, I sleep in on weekends. I graduate in 1 week, so we will start back with church after this. I know she loves church very much. Our church does a lot to help out with others.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You need to ask around in your community. We have a Community garden that has 2 beds dedicated to the local homeless shelter. They always accept volunteers to come help clean the garden, weed the beds, and pick and deliver the veggies. Theey have volunteers on staff to he kids learn the weeds vs the good plants.

The food pantry also lets families, with young children come help stock shelves.  She could organise a food drive, either just talking to friends, or through her scchool. It's easy to go door to door and ask for canned goods any time of year.

My kids have needed service hours for Scouts, we just go to a local park with trash bgs and start cleaning for X amount of time or until we fill X number of bags. If you want to clean up a National Forest area, call your local ranger station and they will provide you with free "Adventure Passes" (normally $5 a day) on the day you clean. You just have to arrange it ahead of time.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

This website helps you find volunteer opportunities in your area, and you can search for opportunities for kid volunteers.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Your daughter sounds like a doll. It's great to hear about kids that want to be more active in their community. 

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Check out Special Olympics.  They are always looking for volunteers and are happy to have children (and their parents)

lauraand3kids
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Thanks for the website! I will check it out.

lauraand3kids
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I did Special Olympics in High School. I definitely enjoyed it. I will check them out too! Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN