Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Parental Involvement

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 36 Replies

Do you think that for a parent to be involved in their child's schooling it requires them to participate at school in the PTA, volunteering, & other school activities?  Or is it acceptable for the parent to only be involved in homework, projects, parent/teacher meetings, progress reports, etc?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think homework, projects, conferences is just part of being a parent. It is being involved in their schooling

Being involved in their school, is the other stuff, PTA,volunteering, etc. It differs for everyone and what they are comfortable and able to do.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Being involved with their schooling is being involved with the actual education that they are recieving.  Volunteering and PTA is another can of worms completely, that is being involved with the school community.  IMO, every parent should be involved with homework, project, conferences, progress reports and the like.  Not everyone is cut out to be a school volunteer or PTA member though and this is spoken from years of PTA experience, there are some volunteers that you wonder why they bothered to even show up.  Both are important though.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

*bows to Steel & Cindy* ...What they said!

Then there are us anal retentive ones who have to BE the school :) LOL

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I love my kids, but I love my sanity more.  You know that I completely bow down to you for being the school.  That is absolutely amazing in my eyes.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I'm involved in my son's education, but not his school. He plays winter sports, and that is a huge time commitment--including mandatory parent volunteer hours in addition to his practice and game schedule being 5+days a week from the end of September to the middle of March. I'd lose my sanity (if I haven't lost it already) if I tried to take on volunteering for school activities. Instead, I focus on helping guide him through handling his busy sports schedule and staying on top of his homework. 

Despite that, I would feel confident the my son's teacher would say we're involved parents.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You know -I only homeschool ecausebay I'm a helipocter parent who can't etlay gogay ofway ymay idskay!

I also can't type properly so if I homeschool them, the teachers will not know how bad I suck!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I love my kids, but I love my sanity more.  You know that I completely bow down to you for being the school.  That is absolutely amazing in my eyes.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I think that it depends on the school. Private schools have the right to mandate shit like that. Public schools dont
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I think that you are involved parents as well, not that my opinion really matters.  Being involved with extracurriculars is very important and knowing your limits is also very, very important.

Quoting Barabell:

I'm involved in my son's education, but not his school. He plays winter sports, and that is a huge time commitment--including mandatory parent volunteer hours in addition to his practice and game schedule being 5+days a week from the end of September to the middle of March. I'd lose my sanity (if I haven't lost it already) if I tried to take on volunteering for school activities. Instead, I focus on helping guide him through handling his busy sports schedule and staying on top of his homework. 

Despite that, I would feel confident the my son's teacher would say we're involved parents.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

So true. I'm sorry your testing to find your limit right now... I'm hoping you make it through this next year with your sanity in tact....LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

I think that you are involved parents as well, not that my opinion really matters.  Being involved with extracurriculars is very important and knowing your limits is also very, very important.

Quoting Barabell:

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM
bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)