Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think that for a parent to be involved in their child's schooling it requires them to participate at school in the PTA, volunteering, & other school activities?  Or is it acceptable for the parent to only be involved in homework, projects, parent/teacher meetings, progress reports, etc?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (31-36):
Hottubgodess
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

it depends on how you give. 

I dont have the time nor the energy for the drama of the PTA.  Sorry.  I am self employed.  How do I give - by making sure I have gift certificates for the school auction, buying books at the book fairs, colecting box tops, participating in fund raisers.  If the teacher needs supplies, I buy more than requested(extra glue sticks, kleenex boxes etc) to help out. 

I am a scout leader as well.  That is how I give.  :) 

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Do you think that for a parent to be involved in their child's schooling it requires them to participate at school in the PTA, volunteering, & other school activities?  Or is it acceptable for the parent to only be involved in homework, projects, parent/teacher meetings, progress reports, etc?

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

MB13
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that this is so right!  As a teacher, I had to be the referee between some of the "involved" parents.  One thought the other wasn't doing her fair share as a parent, because she was not able to chaperone a trip.  Little did she know that the other parent had written me a check for $500 (anonymously!) which made the trip possible!  Every one has their way of helping and I hate when people show  up to help only to give the appearance of being a better parent.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

it depends on how you give. 

I dont have the time nor the energy for the drama of the PTA. Sorry.  I am self employed.  How do I give - by making sure I have gift certificates for the school auction, buying books at the book fairs, colecting box tops, participating in fund raisers.  If the teacher needs supplies, I buy more than requested(extra glue sticks, kleenex boxes etc) to help out. 

I am a scout leader as well.  That is how I give.  :) 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I think being involved with schooling is more important : )

EmmieandMom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Your child is a part off the class and school if you can you should do whatever you can for his/her class/school. Just ask the teacher will be glad to give you something to do at night or on the weekends if you work full-time.
Tal0n
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool and cut out the middleman.

anon1986East
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm involved in my children's education by helping them with their home work, extra lessons on stuff they need help with, parent/teacher meetings (which includes going over progress reports/report cards).

I am involved with their school by attending social events, volunteering at the end of the year fair, and donating supplies/money.

I think it's fine if a parent is not involved with the school, but I do think every parent should be involved with their child's education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN