Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you think that for a parent to be involved in their child's schooling it requires them to participate at school in the PTA, volunteering, & other school activities?  Or is it acceptable for the parent to only be involved in homework, projects, parent/teacher meetings, progress reports, etc?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM
4 moms liked this
I think It's ok for them to just be involved in parent-teacher, homework, Ect. A lot of parents work now a days and can't volunteer during the day or right after school. I feel that I am involved in his education.

I'm a SAHM but I only volunteer in his class during the winter when Dh is home. (I used to all year untill DD was born). I'm not a PTA type mom. I am thankful for the moms that do volunteer for all the things. Our PTA is so clicky, and it is all about who can be at the school from Sun up to midnight. I just can't do that, I have no one to watch DD.

Now next year I'll be PTA president and the principle, teacher. Lol.

Im go-in two b one of thoose homeskool moms, dat cant write a sentace too, butt me reason is becuse my kid is a hellon.
(btw doe u now how hard it is to wrate dis with spell chek on my phone) lmao.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I literally had to LOL ~ Gotta love that auto-correct!

Never works when you want it to and it's too dang good when you dont!

Quoting snowangel1979:

Im go-in two b one of thoose homeskool moms, dat cant write a sentace too, butt me reason is becuse my kid is a hellon.
(btw doe u now how hard it is to wrate dis with spell chek on my phone) lmao.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

sheramom4
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I volunteered regularly until this year. Then I realized that I  really don't like other people's children or most of the parents. It actually was causing me stress to balance volunteering at the school, caregiving for my DH, volunteering for a child advocacy organization, keeping house, etc especially when i didn't enjoy the volunteering at the school at all. I am still involved in homework, conferences, as well as some take home stuff for the classroom, I just choose not to spend my day with 30 other children.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

I think homework, projects, conferences is just part of being a parent. It is being involved in their schooling

Being involved in their school, is the other stuff, PTA,volunteering, etc. It differs for everyone and what they are comfortable and able to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonesMama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

I think homework, projects, conferences is just part of being a parent. It is being involved in their schooling

Being involved in their school, is the other stuff, PTA,volunteering, etc. It differs for everyone and what they are comfortable and able to do.

I agree with this, it's two separate things. I'm involved in my son's schooling by helping him, attending conferences, etc. I'm involved in his school by going to PTA (well, ours in called PTC), volunteering at events, dinners, bake sales, book fair, fundraisers, basically anything that goes on, I'm usually there.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Totally agree! Everyone should be involved in their kids schooling (projects, conferences, etc).

I also know not everyone is cut out to volunteer at the school in the classroom. However, schools/PTAs have so many functions that everyone could find something to volunteer at 1x a year.

For me I was VP of the PTA; I have logged 100s of hrs volunteering at my boys' school. I do it b/c my kids and the other kids love to have me in the class or on the field trip. But my kids also benefit b/c I get to hand pick their teachers. Rewards are given to those that are visable.

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:59 AM

As others have said, everyone should be involved in homework, parent/teacher meetings, etc.  I'm a teacher so I don't volunteer at the school.  I contribute to the bakesales, raffles, etc and the teacher sends me things to do at home.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm very involved with my son's education. If I had to deal with the bitches in the PTA I'd go nuts though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hk2kids
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

It depends - as with everything in life.  I happen to be a SAHM right now so I try to do some of the grunt work at school because I can.  I volunteer in the lunchroom once a week.  Do I think working mom's should have to take time off to serve mac n' cheese - NO!  My kids have swim class and use to need locker room moms.  Poke my eyes out before asking me to do that.  My kids do well in school and my old dd (9) hates for me to check her homework.  Should I force the issue - NO!  If her grades fall, do I get involved - YES!  Every kid, every mom, every family has different parameters.  I only do what works for my family and don't expect the same to work for the neighbors.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on May. 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM
bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN