Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

6 yearl old DD got ISS!!!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM
  • 22 Replies

So yesterday my daughter's teacher emailed me and told me that the pricnipal is giving my daughter ISS.  Here is what happened.  All the kids have chair bags where they keep an eraser, some pencils and some crayons in it.  One of the kids said that they could not find their eraser.  Another kid told the teacher that my daughter had 6 erasers in her chair bag.  When the teacher asked my daughter if that were true, my daughter said no.  So the teacher asked to look in her bag because it looked very full and she found 11 erasers, 6 pencils and a ton of crayons.  The teacher finally got her to confess that she did take the pencils and erasers, but she only took them from the floor when other kids would drop them or leave them on the table...she never took them from anyone.  We've had this problem at home too....so it's not just happening at school (she was at work with me the other day and she borrowed some crayons from another co worker....I told her to put the crayons up before we left, but the next morning she pulled them out of her backpack and told me she didn't know how they got in there!)  So she had to go to the principals office and talk to the principal.  She has lied once before at school...she told her substitute teacher that she was supposed to ride the bus home one day with her friend (I pick her up every afternoon, so she was not supposed to ride the bus).  She goes to a christian private school and they take lying, cheating, stealing, etc very seriously.  I'm assuming that she got ISS because this is the second time she has been caught lying to a teacher.  Now I find out that they want to pull her out of class again so that she can talk to the guidance counselor.  So she will have missed part of class on wed, part of class today, and then has to stay in ISS all day on friday.  Does anyone think this is a little much, or should I let the school do what they need to do?  Let me mention that I am 8 months pregnant and my emotions are all over the place.  I just feel like they are blowing this a little out of proportion.  What do you moms think?  Thanks for any advice!!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kkrk1012
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM
my 9 yr old got ISS the other day for throwing a temper tantrum but the school only went that far why would they need to take it upon themselves to figure out what is going on w her us as parents need to figure out.... Good luck hun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmfarm
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

At first I thought you where talking about a public school and if that was the case then yes, but since it is a private school they may have much stricter rules (that is what it sounds like from your post). Do they have any kind of school hand book that talks about this type of thing?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm not an advocate of taking kids out of class, however, if they are having her talk to the guidance counselor to help her, I think that is a good thing.  She obviously has some issues, even though they seem minor and at this point are, stealing and lying can elevate to theft and defiance pretty fast.  It sounds to me like they are trying to help her, as well as, punish her which she deserves.  Hang in there.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

IDK, she was caught lying twice and stealing as well, putting supplies in your bag that don't belong to you is stealing.  Private schools are typically stricter than public schools, so I am not surprised at all.  I'm more concerned about what you are doing at home to curb these behaviors?

sunfire79
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I did read the handbook yesterday.....it did not have steps of punishment, like first offence is this, second offence is this....it just said these are some of the consequences are in class separation, students call to the parents, ISS or OSS, loss of school privileges, etc.  I just think that she either needs her ISS or counseling, not both.  She's essentially being punished 3 days in a row for what she did, which I think is too much

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
6 moms liked this

Counseling is not a punishment.  It's an attempt to A) get to the bottom of why she is taking things that aren't hers and B) encourage her not to make the same mistake again.  ISS is the punishment and she clearly earned this.  You really need to get on board and work with the school on ending this before she does it at a store or someone's house.  This has the potential for much bigger problems.

Quoting sunfire79:

I did read the handbook yesterday.....it did not have steps of punishment, like first offence is this, second offence is this....it just said these are some of the consequences are in class separation, students call to the parents, ISS or OSS, loss of school privileges, etc.  I just think that she either needs her ISS or counseling, not both.  She's essentially being punished 3 days in a row for what she did, which I think is too much

STKsMomma
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I think they are just trying to figure out why she feels the need to do these things. And with it being this late in the year her missing an hour of class time won't hurt. They will more then likely take her out at a slower time in the day. And during ISS she will still be required to do all the work that the kids in her class are doing. I think the school is handling it fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

If I were you, I would go to this link and print up the social story and start reading it every morning before school. 

http://sa.parkrose.k12.or.us/for_staff/cougar_den_resources/behavior%20support/Stealing%20Social%20Story.pdf  

Post it on the refrigerator where she can see it.

She needs to learn that stealing and "finder's keepers" is not appropriate behavior. If you find something, you need to find the owner of what you found. If you have done everything you can, asked everyone you know if the item she found is theirs, only then can she keep it.

Right now, it is just a pencil, or eraser.... what if someone had a pretty necklace and it broke and fell on the floor, would she keep it? Even if it was something very special to someone else? What about if it were her that lost her special necklace she got on her birthday? She would feel really bad about it. But imagine how much she and the other people feel if something lost is found and returned?!

I would go at it from that angle. My kids connect with it when it becomes personal an about the "right thing to do."

There are also books ....

Stealing is Bad But Giving is Good

MB13
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Too bad that they can't schedule the counseling  during part of her ISS time!

Quoting sunfire79:

MB13
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Just curious, what type of job do you have that the co-workers use crayons?  I want to color at work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)