Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

But, he's just a baby . . .

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 76 Replies

I hear this phrase over and over again here in this group and find it odd.  We are talking about Elementary school aged children here, not infants and toddlers.  When did you quit referring to your child as a baby or do you still refer to them as babies?

This is just another thing that I find interesting and has nothing to do with any one in particular.

Personally, I haven't referred to my children as babies since they were 2 years old.  Now they are boys or children.

To appease someone with a reading comprehension problem I will state in big bold red letters THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT PET NAMES FOR YOUR CHILD!  Is that better?

I'm feeling wicked!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
ROFL...I read the title and thought...oh..Sh,t..here we go! LOL

Not sure...I know I joke with DD sometimes about her doing something and say,"You can't do that...you're my baaayyyybbbyyyy!"

But I can't reecall the last time I used it as an excuse for helicoptering or her not being able to do something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
I don't call my soon to be 5 year old a baby. She's a "big kid" now, and we reinforce that everyday.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I don't think I've called them a baby since they started walking.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
*gasp* I MUST CONFESS....

I did cut up DDs steak the other day (her 9th birthday actually!)... Not because she CAN'T but because she is THE SLOWEST eater on the planet and I wanted to finish before bed time..lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Eli might always be the baby to us :P

Elise and Ethan were so close in age neither one ever got that nick name.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I did cut up DDs steak the other day (her 9th birthday actually!)... Not because she CAN'T but because she is THE SLOWEST eater on the planet and I wanted to finish before bed time..lol

Sometimes those things are necessary so we don't lose our own sanity. I also have a slow eater and will do just about anything to hurry her along. LMAO

*Sandra* Mom of 3
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I must also confess . . .

At my niece's wedding reception last Saturday I cut up my 8 year olds roast beef with the world's dullest knife.  It took every ounce of strength I had to cut that meat.  If it wasn't a fancy sit down dinner I would have told him to use his fingers and rip the meat with his teeth.

I also should mention that my MIL nearly peed herself watching me attempt to use that crappy knife to cut the meat.

andreahm
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

i tell him hes my baby although hes 9.. and hes my only baby. Of course I would never do this in public because it would embarass the heck out of him. He knows its just my wierd mommyness. But yes, he WILL ALWAYS be my baby and he knows it.

CafeMom Tickers
jaytee
by Jen on May. 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM
I tell them "they'll always be my babies" and I do call my youngest "baby" She's very quick to remind me that she's "a big girl"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quoting jaytee:

I tell them "they'll always be my babies" and I do call my youngest "baby" She's very quick to remind me that she's "a big girl"

This is my kids too. I don't call them babies, but sometimes I tell them they will always be my babies and they are both quick to counter that they have not been babies in forever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)