Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

pto help

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

hey all im looking for any pto help.. advise from old members, teachers.. parents... help me out here :)  this is our schools 3rd year and havent had a good pto yet!!!!!

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TroyboysMom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM

What is it that you want to accomplish with your PTO? Do you have a full board?

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM

thats what im looking for.. ideas ..

and atm no we dont have a full board

Quoting TroyboysMom:

What is it that you want to accomplish with your PTO? Do you have a full board?

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

tipstermom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I've been very lucky to join a great school and PTA.  I think the first thing would be to create a board and then set some goals that you wish to accomplish while determining ways to fund the various ideas. Here's what we do:

- Market Day
- Fundraising
- Birthday Books
- Reading Incentive
- Story Publishing
- PTA Newsletter
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Spiritwear
- Fun Fair
- Post Office
- Skate Night
- Various ways to raise money: Target Card Incentive, eScrip, Box Tops, Discount Cards

Hope this helps!  Feel free to PM me if you want any more info on what I wrote.  I'm not on the board but head up two of the above committees.  Good Luck!!!!

Lisa at Tipster Mom
http://tipstermom.blogspot.com/
Follow on FB at Tipster Mom

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I love Market Day! Last year our kids Race For Education and raised so much money that the PTO subsidized all field trips and except for Market Day and Bingo Nights, we didn't have any fund raisers this year.

Quoting tipstermom:

I've been very lucky to join a great school and PTA.  I think the first thing would be to create a board and then set some goals that you wish to accomplish while determining ways to fund the various ideas. Here's what we do:

- Market Day
- Fundraising
- Birthday Books
- Reading Incentive
- Story Publishing
- PTA Newsletter
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Spiritwear
- Fun Fair
- Post Office
- Skate Night
- Various ways to raise money: Target Card Incentive, eScrip, Box Tops, Discount Cards

Hope this helps!  Feel free to PM me if you want any more info on what I wrote.  I'm not on the board but head up two of the above committees.  Good Luck!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM
bump

TroyboysMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Okay, well, for your PTO to exist, you need to at least have a skeleton board-which means you must have, at a bare, bare minimum, a President, a Treasurer, and a Recording Secretary. Ideally, you want your VP positions filled also - Programs, Membership, Ways and Means. From there, you can start flushing out your plans, and added chairpeople for fundraisers/programs from there. You will need to make sure that you have your bylaws, quorum, and Tax ID status in proper order before fundraising, so make sure that you do. You can get help if you need it at  http://www.pta.org/   or http://www.ptotoday.com/  

It behooves you to plan what you would like to fund before you begin raising the funds. The rule of thuumb is "The rule of three" every fundraiser should be going (at least in part) to fund three separate things. So, your fall festival proceeds can go to help supply your library, purchase playground equipment, and a new projector for the school, or something. Your treasurer should be able to help you with that after financial training.

Now, the PTA I currently work on funds:

-the art program

-the music program (instruments and choir, for grades 3-5)

-field trips

-assemblies

-technology

-school garden

-school news broadcast

-Teacher Appreciation Week

and several other activities. 

In order to do that well, we have a list of passive and active fundraisers that we use to raise money. Some of these may work for you, and some may not. You'll need to do some legwork.

Passive Fundraisers:

-Cartridges for Kids

-Box Tops

-Capri Suns

-Fresh and Easy (You may not have this near where you are.)

-Target Card

and others that are available (Many are regional. You will have to do the legwork in your area.). These can be marginally successful just by getting the work out to your families.  

Active fundraisers may include:

-Direct Donation - People donate directly to your school-this WORKS. We do it every year.

-Catalog sales (including items, gift wrap, magazines, snack foods, etc. Companies include Great American, efundraising, etc.)

-Restaurant Nights (Contact the restaurants in your area-many will offer a tiered return structure) 

-Festivals (Sell tickets for admissions, etc.)

-Movie nights (either screenings at school, or through local theaters)

-Jog-a-thon/Jump-rope for Heart

These things vary in cost for start up fees, but have decent to spectacular returns for the effort put in. 

What does your school lack that you would like to see it have? Start from there (and start small) and see where you go from there.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)