Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what are your thoughts on this? my almost 4 yo has speech delays, not sever enough to wualify for free pre k, and we can really afford the extra $150 a week to send him to preschool,

so does preschool make that much difference? im going to keep trying the schol disctict and hope to wedge him in. but i know it is a slim chance.. there are over @50 kids on the waiting list,, and less than 40 "normal" kids get in per year....

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (51-59):
mothernature
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

i dont think preschool is that important you can work with him on a much more personal level than they can, if nothing else he has a speech delay he may be even more lost in preschool than the norm because he may not be able to vocalize his needs as well , my son went to state funded preschool because of a delay and i watched them make him wash his hand six times in a row because he was touching his face after each hand washing , i actually said he already washed them and she said i know but he will figure out not to touch him face eventually , i had to tell him why they were making him doing over and over. so in my eperience free preschool was not worth it unless i wanted him to know how important hand washing was at three:( he was a very young kindergardener though so i had him take two years of it to help him be as mature as the other kids. goodluck with your baby <3

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM

You can work on his speech at home. 

Did you have him tested and they said his speech is not delayed enough or do you just think it is not delayed enough?

I ask because my 5 yo started getting speech therpy about a year ago after I got him tested to shut DH up.  I coukd understand 90 to 95% of what he said.  DH about 50% and I was always translating for strangers.  I chalked DH and strangers upto them just not listening well.  But when he was tested the pros could only understand 20% of what he said.

Note here I grew up with a mom that had a speech impediment.  From the time I was 8 years old I was always telling people what she was saying when they didn't understand her. 

Anyway as my husband and others since have pointed out often when a stranger didn't quite get what Jericho was saying.  I would talk to Jericho about the subject in such a way that stranger could pick up the conversation and continue it.

When DH mentioned this to the therapist I was like'no I don't' but she pointed out I had done it a few times while we were there.  She explained where I am with Jericho all the time it is easy for me to miss speech troubles.  Add to this growing up with my mom and my ears and mind have literally been trained to hear the correct words, even when they are not spoken correctly.

howcrazy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM
[quote name="mommaFruFru" id="0"][/quote
If he is so near the cutoff, and has delays, I would keep him out of k for another r
Year. Many education advocates, as well as pediatricians, recommend waiting, especially with boys. K is no longer all fun and games, they are learning things that used to be taught in first grade and beyond. It has been found that this is especially difficult on boys, as their verbal skills aren't usually developmentally where a girls are at that age, and even if they get by in K, it may catch up with them in third or fourth grade. Please, don't push your son and wait a year! He will thank you for it later!
zingarella
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I am a special needs preschool teacher with an inclusive classroom. I think preschool is important for a child with speech delays. The school system is mandated by federal law to service young children with special needs. Your child's need is speech and they say they are fulfilling that obligation by offering speech therapy. I would start seeing a speech therapist and try to get her/him on your side and make the argument for the need for preschool. They are more likely to listen to the speech therapist. 

Other options for speech since you say it's far away:

The school system has to provide speech. Will they cover a therapist who is closer to you? Either way they still have to pay for it but they may say the private one is more expensive.

If that doesn't work, will your health insurance cover speech? Sometimes they do. That way you may be able to choose a  private therapist who is closer.

Also, join a local support group for parents of children with special needs. They are full of experience and information.

good luck!

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM
we did with our oldest, now in 2nd grade. my 4yo hasn't yet, and probably won't a full year anyway- we're expecting another baby in September, so I'm going to be doing good getting the oldest to school on time! maybe after the new year, just to get him accustomed to the routine and other kids his age. but he's really receptive to me teaching, he knows his letters and numbers and we're working on reading and simple addition. it'll also give him some him time after the baby comes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntymeme
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

YIKES! $150 a week! That's nuts!! I run a home preschool and I charge that a month for 3x a week at 3.5 hours. I would look for a home preschool type program if I were you.

Tunk
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I think Pre-K is important if: She is behind average, hasn't been very socialized and parents don't work with the child at home.

Otherwise, I think it's highly overrated. My oldest skipped pre-school. His first day away from me was his first day of Kindergarten. But, we were always active in playgroups, I taught him as much as I could on my own and he even worked in Pre-K and Kindy workbooks weekly. He is 7 (almost 8) and about to be in 3rd grade. He is above grade level or at grade level in every subject and reads at a 5th and 6th grade level with full comprehension. Pre-K would have been nothing more than overpriced play time for him. 

Unless my daughter shows signs of "needing" the extra help, she won't be going either.

Every child is different and there is nothing wrong with Pre-K. It's a good tool if children need extra help and well worth the money in those cases.

cmfarm
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

In our school district they don't even have pre-K (I wish they did). So kids all start Kinder at the same level unless they went to private preschool. I think pre-k is good, but not a necessity.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I think that some kind of learning environment where the child is exposed to other children so that they learn to share and follow the rules as well as learn the basics is helpful. This doesn't have to be pre-k. My son got the same thing in daycare. If u work with him at home and maybe get him into a mommy's day out once or twice a week he should have almost the same benefit. Some daycares, especially those thru churches have those mommy day out offers where u pay $10-15 for 3 or 4hours of daycare once or twice a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN