Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

skipping preschool?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • 59 Replies

what are your thoughts on this? my almost 4 yo has speech delays, not sever enough to wualify for free pre k, and we can really afford the extra $150 a week to send him to preschool,

so does preschool make that much difference? im going to keep trying the schol disctict and hope to wedge him in. but i know it is a slim chance.. there are over @50 kids on the waiting list,, and less than 40 "normal" kids get in per year....

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM
I think prek is highly important, especially for a kiddo with speech delays.

Are there any options between $150/week or not going?

Maybe ask the school to see if there is anything you can do to improve his chances if getting into public school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anon1986East
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I think it depends on the kid. My oldest never went to preschool and she adjusted just fine to kindergarten but she has also always been mature for her age. Her little sister on the other hand is a bit more wild and goofy, I wanted to give her that extra year to adjust to a classroom setting - she loved it and thrived. Her teacher told me she should get into directing film because she ran that class. She was kind and fair but the other kids always looked to her when it came to deciding what to play, what books to read, or to make decisions about who got to play with what toy.

I was born premature and my inner ears didn't develop properly so I had a lot of ear infections and had to have two surgeries to fix my inner ears so I was almost deaf my first couple years of life which caused a delay in my speech. My parents tried to get me in preschool but they weren't going to accept me until my pediatrician wrote them a letter, then they made room for me and by the time I started kindergarten I was on the same level as the other kids.

Mamie_85
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I don't do preschool, I teach them at home until kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

the only other optio they give is 30 mins of speech therapy once a week, from november till april. but it is 30 mins from home,, soo  add in traffic and almost 2 hrs a week, and i dont get to pick the day/time. i have 2 other children, and lots of other responsibilites, so a tight schedule

pretty much unless i can get him diagnosed w/ special needs the lady from the school disctict wasnt very hopefull for us

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I think prek is highly important, especially for a kiddo with speech delays.

Are there any options between $150/week or not going?

Maybe ask the school to see if there is anything you can do to improve his chances if getting into public school?

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

ive tried that, he is very smart, but refuses to learn/listen to me. if i ask him colors or anything he "dosent know" he is def my defiant wild child!

Quoting Mamie_85:

Mamie_85
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM
You could try making it a game, or simply incorporate those things into what you're doing. For example, snack time. The red apple, the orange is shaped like a circle, banana starts with b. They pick up on a lot, but if you try to quiz them, they lose interest.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

ive tried that, he is very smart, but refuses to learn/listen to me. if i ask him colors or anything he "dosent know" he is def my defiant wild child!

Quoting Mamie_85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

thats what weve been doing.. he could care less. he knows all the stuff, shapes mixing colors,, counting.. he will only do it when he wants

i have 2 years worth of prek work from ds1s old teacher.. and all her ideas have failed as well he inhearted stubborn ness from both parents!

Quoting Mamie_85:

You could try making it a game, or simply incorporate those things into what you're doing. For example, snack time. The red apple, the orange is shaped like a circle, banana starts with b. They pick up on a lot, but if you try to quiz them, they lose interest.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Mamie_85
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Of course, he only does it when he wants. He's 4 lol, they're all stubborn.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

thats what weve been doing.. he could care less. he knows all the stuff, shapes mixing colors,, counting.. he will only do it when he wants

i have 2 years worth of prek work from ds1s old teacher.. and all her ideas have failed as well he inhearted stubborn ness from both parents!

Quoting Mamie_85:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

lol hes not een 4 yet!!! im also contemplating holding him back a year, since his bday is just 4 days before the deadline,, and i think he would benefit by being older.. ugh i enver knew school would be this hard!!!!

Quoting Mamie_85:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Mamie_85
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM
It's tough. My oldest two are almost done with kindergarten, schools out in a couple weeks. My 5 year old had turned 5 a month before school started. I sent him because our school is full of only kindergartners. It's pretty neat. The kids are separated by age, and the 5 year olds go over the basics the first half of the year, and get an extra year at the school. Before moving on to first grade.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

lol hes not een 4 yet!!! im also contemplating holding him back a year, since his bday is just 4 days before the deadline,, and i think he would benefit by being older.. ugh i enver knew school would be this hard!!!!

Quoting Mamie_85:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)