Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what are your thoughts on this? my almost 4 yo has speech delays, not sever enough to wualify for free pre k, and we can really afford the extra $150 a week to send him to preschool,

so does preschool make that much difference? im going to keep trying the schol disctict and hope to wedge him in. but i know it is a slim chance.. there are over @50 kids on the waiting list,, and less than 40 "normal" kids get in per year....

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I would keep pushing.  Could he get into headstart with the delay however slight it is?  DD didnt go to preschool due to us not being able to afford it and she struggled with the social things at first in kindergarten.  With only a month and a half left she is now in OT, PT, and SpTher at school , 2 hrs a week total of extra help.  Luckily she is very smart in almost all the subjects except phys ed.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM
It very much depends on the child. My oldest didn't do preschool, only daycare. She started kinder at age 4 (Dec deadline, Oct bday) and ended up skipping into 1st at winter break. No idea how she was so ready, lol. But I know others whose kids needed preschool/pre-k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalDawn2506
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I had to pull DD out of Head Start because they wouldn't inform me when DD got injured and one injury locked up her legs for a few days because she has low muscle tone aka weak muscles. But the Head Start pleaded with me because they said she wouldn't pass into kindergarten , she would forget , I was setting her up for failure, that she would have to wait till she was 7 ( age required by law to start school) etc. But DD passed all work stations and was only 4/5 age group in about 3 tasks but she was 5/6 or 6+ in the rest . She has speech problems but hers is due to her top 4 teeth missing and a lisp. But here they have speech therapy in the public schools. So I would try to be informed as much as possible . Call the school's and ask questions and how they handle speech issues.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Neither of my kids went to / are going to preschool.  Mainly because we just couldn't make the logistics work, but also because we didn't think it highly important.  With my older one, I don't see that it harmed him at all.  My younger one will start Kindy in the fall so we will see but I don't see it harming him either.  My younger also had an ever so slight speech delay.  We had him tested at about 22 mo of age because he still didn't have any words he was saying at that point, but he didn't quite qualify for services.  Shortly after turning 2 he started talking.  We've never had him tested since then so I'm not sure where he is at now but he seems to talk like a normal 5 year old to me.

I guess just based on my experience I would say if you can get him in, then do it.  If you just can't make it work, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I had that problem with my now 6 year old when he was 4... He didn't have any speech delays or anything. All I could afford was to send him one half day a week, even just going one day a week really helped him!

Quoting mommaFruFru:

ive tried that, he is very smart, but refuses to learn/listen to me. if i ask him colors or anything he "dosent know" he is def my defiant wild child!

Quoting Mamie_85:

I don't do preschool, I teach them at home until kindergarten.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM
What he was denued for is headstart equevilant. Its very limuted in our county, only 8 schools offer it, and r16kids per class

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would keep pushing.  Could he get into headstart with the delay however slight it is?  DD didnt go to preschool due to us not being able to afford it and she struggled with the social things at first in kindergarten.  With only a month and a half left she is now in OT, PT, and SpTher at school , 2 hrs a week total of extra help.  Luckily she is very smart in almost all the subjects except phys ed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
We dont have any prigrams that let you just go once a week. The cheapest is 3days a week 2.5hrs a day.

Quoting jen113000:

I had that problem with my now 6 year old when he was 4... He didn't have any speech delays or anything. All I could afford was to send him one half day a week, even just going one day a week really helped him!

Quoting mommaFruFru:

ive tried that, he is very smart, but refuses to learn/listen to me. if i ask him colors or anything he "dosent know" he is def my defiant wild child!

Quoting Mamie_85:

I don't do preschool, I teach them at home until kindergarten.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I think preschool is very important. Not just for the socializing but because kids learn how to learn...they learn how to share their teacher's time with 20 other kids. They learn how to play together, not just next to each other. They learn how to sit in a circle without disturbing the kids around them. For my kids, I wanted those issues out of the way before Kindergarten started. If your DS is speech delayed, can he receive services through the Intermediate Unit? DD had 3 years with them for her speech delay. They went to her daycare but could've come to our house if needed and it was free, based on need, not income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I am not going to send my son to pre k. I really think it is just a glorified daycare that teaches things you can teach at home.

Between2Rams
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My son never went to pre school and he's having a tough time in kindergarten.  It was a big transition for him; our school is the only one with full day kindergarten in the district.  He's often disruptive in class and doesn't test well, even though there will be some days when he knows everything right off the bat.  Unfortunately he's in danger of repeating. 

I don't know how much of a difference preschool would have made.  I know plenty of kids who skip it and excell in school, myself and brothers included.  I just know that I plan on making sure I get my 2yo in a program next year, just to be on the safe side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN