Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are your thoughts on this? my almost 4 yo has speech delays, not sever enough to wualify for free pre k, and we can really afford the extra $150 a week to send him to preschool,

so does preschool make that much difference? im going to keep trying the schol disctict and hope to wedge him in. but i know it is a slim chance.. there are over @50 kids on the waiting list,, and less than 40 "normal" kids get in per year....

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
mik1of3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yikes, $150 a week?!  Mine didn't go to an exclusive preschool...she went to a local church school for $320 a month...and for some reason, we could claim that on our taxes, so it was deductible.  
She didn't go for academics..it was just for her to get caught up in the talking department..I didn't worry about what she actually learned.  I looked at what she actually learned as bonus material.   
There isn't an in home preschool or public preschool you could keep him in at a better rate?

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Thats just it. I cant afford it. Speech would be free once a week. Bur preschool isnt free. And $150 a week idk how id come up with that

Quoting mik1of3:

I think you should.  I say this because my now 15 year old DD was placed in preschool for the exact same reasons--speech delay-- and even now her speech isn't on a par with her peers.  Don't get me wrong, she can talk well enough to be in plays and musicals, but her diction and the way she pronounces certain words still is a bit younger than her classmates.

So yeah, I think you should make sure he goes to preschool...because weekly meetings with a speech therapist will, in the end, cost more...not to mention the teasing and stuff by his peers that will happen if you don't.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Public pre k us full. They let in very lumuted numbers. And I havent found an un home progeam yet.

Quoting mik1of3:

Yikes, $150 a week?!  Mine didn't go to an exclusive preschool...she went to a local church school for $320 a month...and for some reason, we could claim that on our taxes, so it was deductible.  
She didn't go for academics..it was just for her to get caught up in the talking department..I didn't worry about what she actually learned.  I looked at what she actually learned as bonus material.   
There isn't an in home preschool or public preschool you could keep him in at a better rate?

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Thats just it. I cant afford it. Speech would be free once a week. Bur preschool isnt free. And $150 a week idk how id come up with that

Quoting mik1of3:

I think you should.  I say this because my now 15 year old DD was placed in preschool for the exact same reasons--speech delay-- and even now her speech isn't on a par with her peers.  Don't get me wrong, she can talk well enough to be in plays and musicals, but her diction and the way she pronounces certain words still is a bit younger than her classmates.

So yeah, I think you should make sure he goes to preschool...because weekly meetings with a speech therapist will, in the end, cost more...not to mention the teasing and stuff by his peers that will happen if you don't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mik1of3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I don't know where you live, but I'd keep looking at home programs, or church schools. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Public pre k us full. They let in very lumuted numbers. And I havent found an un home progeam yet.

Quoting mik1of3:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting mik1of3:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I do preschool at home with my kids and we are involved in a local playgroup for socialization.

I think for speech delays you want to look into it.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I know church schools r out. The only one close is tution and 7k per year but I keep looking and calling hoping for something

Quoting mik1of3:

I don't know where you live, but I'd keep looking at home programs, or church schools. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting mik1of3:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting mik1of3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Ds2 had just enough of a speech delay to qualify for therapy, but not the developmental preschool, so we did not send him to preschool. He knew how to play nicely, take turns, and all that social stuff from playing w/ kids in the neighborhood. He taught himself how to write the alphabet, and we worked w/ hime on colors, counting, shapes, etc. I never sat down w/ him to work on any of it, though. I'd throw it in randomly- "Ok, you can have 5 M & M's" and I'd count them out as I set them down, "Can you hand me that red square piece of paper, please?", etc.

momamanda
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends where you live. I live in GA and they have GA Pre-k and it's free for everyone who can get into a funded program. here we I live we have an Awesome pre-k center! 1 school that holds 500 pre-k students. It runs 6.5 hours a day. They go to 2 different specials  computers and library. They have a seperate cafeteria where they go just like elementary school. and they learn so much. so here most kids go so when they get to kindergarten they already know how to write thier names, can recognize all there letters. They know the days of the week and the months of the year in order. All shapes and colors. of course this is nothing that you can't teach at home! there is a great website letteroftheweek.com they have pre-k lessons plans! I have used this with all of my kids the year before they go to pre-k. IT's free and you can adapt it to your child's needs! I personally wouldn't pay for them to go. HTH and hope you  find something that works!

soon2bemomof307
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it does. Kids that don't go to preschool tend to be behind when they go to kindergarten. Kindergarten isn't like it was when we went to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM

My son's doctor was trying her hardest to get him in. He has speech issues and behavior issues. We have been denied. It is desperately needed for him

PinkieRed
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Both of my kids went to full day preschool, for two years each, as 3 and 4 year olds. I was working full time, so I didn't have any choice about having them in preschool. I do think preschool is very important, anyway.

The preschool my kids went to was at a child development center, which is owned/run by our suburb's public school district.

We did have to pay tuition. That was quite some time ago - my kids are now 14 and 9, so I can't remember exactly how much the tuition was. I know it was over $100 a week though, about the same as regular daycare, since they went full days. Not cheap.

Are there any services available to your son through your county, or maybe a local nonprofit organization, since he has the speech delay?

I would ask his pediatrician if he or she knows of any resources. You can also check with your local United Way. They can refer you to any agencies that can help.

Good luck!

Quoting mommaFruFru:

the only other optio they give is 30 mins of speech therapy once a week, from november till april. but it is 30 mins from home,, soo � add in traffic and almost 2 hrs a week, and i dont get to pick the day/time. i have 2 other children, and lots of other responsibilites, so a tight schedule

� pretty much unless i can get him diagnosed w/ special needs the lady from the school disctict wasnt very hopefull for us

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I think prek is highly important, especially for a kiddo with speech delays.

Are there any options between $150/week or not going?

Maybe ask the school to see if there is anything you can do to improve his chances if getting into public school?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)