Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what are your thoughts on this? my almost 4 yo has speech delays, not sever enough to wualify for free pre k, and we can really afford the extra $150 a week to send him to preschool,

so does preschool make that much difference? im going to keep trying the schol disctict and hope to wedge him in. but i know it is a slim chance.. there are over @50 kids on the waiting list,, and less than 40 "normal" kids get in per year....

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
hurricane37
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It's amazing how some can get in and others who really need in cant. I could not even get my autistic son in when he was that young.

trebelcleff
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Have you looked into childcare subsidy?  They don't just pay for daycare, they pay for preschool too!

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM
My kids havent and wont go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Atm we qualufy,.but I must have as job or be going to school, if I get a job we make too much, and I cant afford to go back to school. Were right on that line of tons of free services we jyst barley make too much, or one thing dis qualufies us

Quoting trebelcleff:

Have you looked into childcare subsidy?  They don't just pay for daycare, they pay for preschool too!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Oh I hate when that happens!  You could get a very part time job, which would help supplement the payments, and you could do it only while he's at school... I worked as a togo person for applebees during the lunch shift before I went back to school full-time. I was in at 11 and out at 1 Mon. through Fri.  It got enough hours for subsidy without going over the income limit, and the extra I made helped pay for his daycare a bit as well.

saraface5383
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
i think preschool is very important
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Well unless id make less than $33 a month it wouldnt work, plus I have a.5mo as well. I wish the county schools eerent closed today, I had tons of time to call lol

Quoting trebelcleff:

Oh I hate when that happens!  You could get a very part time job, which would help supplement the payments, and you could do it only while he's at school... I worked as a togo person for applebees during the lunch shift before I went back to school full-time. I was in at 11 and out at 1 Mon. through Fri.  It got enough hours for subsidy without going over the income limit, and the extra I made helped pay for his daycare a bit as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I wonder if they would make an exception based on need... there are often clauses (fine print) for children with special needs, especially if a doctor recommends it.  It could be worth jumping through all of their hoops if it gets him into preschool so he gets the help he needs.

Does your medical insurance for him not pay for speech therapy?

lruggio
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

If your child has speech delays, I would go to your pediatrician and get him referred to speech therapy...I would not get him in to preschool especially if its 150 per week.  I kind of think that preschool is over-rated.  the biggest thing I see kids getting in preschool is sick.  You can do amazing things on your own at home with your child.  The way I see it, your child will be in school soon enough....if you get too crazy getting him "ready" for kindergarten, he may get there only to realize its all just a continuation of preschool and how can that be good to bore your child to death!  I say, if you can do it, let him be a kid for as long as he can, "play" with him through enriching his environment, getting him ready for kindergarten on your own, but really, it would be good to look into a one on one therapist to come to YOU and help him with whatever delay he may be having

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Nope, pre-school did nothing for my son except teach him the word "Mine".
It was just playtime with a theme for the day.

My son also had a speech delay, and the normal pre-k did nothing for that either.

I knew he had a speech problem at 2 but they said he didn't. Same at 3, even though you just know. He thankfully did qualify for the free pre-k when he was 4, and is now 7 and speaks just fine. (Getting him to shut up is the trick :) )

Here are some tricks I was taught, that I was told to do at home to help him; maybe they'll help a little. Be consistent in the words you use. Don't use synonyms. We would say above, on top, over, etc at different times, but describing a similar act, like a book on a shelf. This just added to my sons confusion. We had to learn to consistently just say on top of.

Read out loud, simple picture books, but stop after a page and ask questions about what was just read. And make sure to point at each word that was read. Ask simple questions about the pictures.
My son adored Spot, so I would read a page, and than ask questions like "Is Spot hiding in the basket?" Keep it simple and praise him for everything he says. Whether right or wrong. The purpose to to get him talking.

So with the Spot example, Spot wasn't hiding in the basket.  If my son said "No", I would respond, "That's right! Your so smart! Thank you for using your words."

If he said "Yes", I would respond "That's a great try. Let's look at the picture again", point out the basket in the picture "Spot's not in the basket. Thank you for trying and using your words."

Talk to him about what you're doing and use descriptive words. This was the hard one for me, because I felt stupid doing the dishes and chattering "I'm washing the red plate. Using the dish soap and rinsing it off, Now I'm washing the blue cup. Have to scrub it extra hard because I didn't remember to rinse out the milk."

I wish you the very best of luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)