Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I was reading the processed post and was wondering?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM
  • 34 Replies
How do you make things from scratch? And what do you make from scratch? Somebody school me, everybody talks about making food from scratch, but nobody informs you how to do it? And I hear alot about processed meat, if you don't eat Oscar Myers what do you eat if you want sandwhich meat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I learned how to cook from a Betty Crocker cookbook and still refer to it frequently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Thanks that's a start

Quoting littleacorn:

I learned how to cook from a Betty Crocker cookbook and still refer to it frequently.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Go to a meat counter and have them fresh slice whatever meat you want.  It is slightly less processed than the already packaged stuff.  There are alot of cookbooks around (library has free ones) to experiment with meals.  You will need to set up a good pantry with flours,sugar,rice, pasta etc to make things from scratch.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM
Bake a chicken and shred it or slice thin for chicken sandwiches. You can pretty much make any sandwich from fresh baked/grilled meats. You can get whole unprocessed meats sliced at the deli counter.

There are so many recipes online or in the old traditional cookbooks. I have a ton of cookbooks & try a lot of stuff in them. I also have a recipe app on my tablet and go online for stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I'm a lover of the internet. A simple google search for recipes will overwhelm a girl!!  And there are blogs a plenty.  One that I like is Pioneer Woman because she goes step by step with pictures --- and she's not a total perfectionist with measuring.

endurablemist
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I use a ton of recipes I find on pinterest, and cookbooks. As for lunch meat, we don't eat it very often, it is pretty expensive. The deli counter should have some that are less processed, but they are still processed and full of salt. Even the reduced sodium choices they offer still have a ton of sodium, but less than regular. You could by a roast and cut it for sandwiches, or chicken/turkey.

http://allrecipes.com/ that's another good site for recipes, you can even look up a recipe by the ingredients  you have, or want to use.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I do use lunch meat- for dd's lunch box. She would never take normal chicken for lunch- she is a strange little bird. LOL 

I was a Chef so it is very easy for me to cook from scratch. I make breads, yogurt, cheese( making Monterey Jack and Mozzarella tonight actually), cookies, cakes, meatloaf, burgers, mexican food, italian food ( used to make my own pasta, but my machine broke so until I replace it I use whole wheat pasta in a box), greek food...you name it I can make it from scratch. 

Using a cookbook is great- it will give you a host of recipes and once you feel more comfortable, you can start tweaking things and then just fly by the seat of your pants. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I get some good advice on cafemom, and google.

family in the van   Mom of four

momsurvival
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM
If you're an internet junkie I highly suggest Mr.Food.com, Foodnetwork.com, and Myreceipe.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Refurbished
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I get a lot of recipes from pinterest and allrecipes.com.  Allrecipes.com is my favorite.  Members post their recipes, and people who have tried it can rate it.  They have great recipes for just about everything. 

When I buy processsed meats, I make sure to only buy nitrite free.  Nitrites are used as a preservative, but they aren't good for you.

We use shredded chicken for sandwiches.  I buy three large bags of boneless chicken breasts each week.  All you have to do is put the entire bag of chicken in the crock pot and let it cook with whatever sauce or seasoning you want. 

Once a week I will put a bag of chicken breasts in with a bottle of barbeque sauce.  Once cooked, shred the chicken and put on hamburger buns.  I do the same the next night with some salsa, a few garlic cloves, cilantro and cumen.  Again, I shred it, then use it in tacos and burritos throughout the week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)