Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Learning to tie their shoes...

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 17 Replies

What age/ grade did your child learn to tie their shoes?  Please don't bash, but my dd is almost 7 and almost out of 1st grade and still doesn't know how to tie her shoes.  She accellerates in every aspect of school and is at the top of the classs, but for some reason shoe tying just isn't her strong point.  IDK maybe I'm just a horrible teacher.  I always thought it was something they learned in Kinder...but they never did cover that!  LOL  And now, almost all kids shoes don't need to ever be tied!  She has a pair of Sketchers that just slip right on and never come untied.  She has zipper shoes, sandals and little slid on Vans.  Any pointers on how to teach kids how to tie their shoes?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Use daddy's shoes for practicing.  They are much bigger and will be easier for her little hands to work with when she is first learning.  My only other advice is that practice makes perfect, so have her work on it for a few minutes every day and she will have it down in no time at all.  Once she is pretty good at tying her shoes, get her a pair of tie shoes so that she doesn't "forget" the newly learned skill.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I didn't learn until I was 7. My great aunt and uncle showed me the day my grandma died o.O I don't know if they were just better at explaining or nobody had explained it to me at all before that. I just remember being embarrassed that I couldn't tie my shoes.

Try the ian knot; it's simple and quick once you figure it out.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

My oldest was 4.

My twins learned to tie their shoes this fall (they are in kindergarten).

What I did was sit behind them with them sitting between my legs and we did it together.  Often times we are trying to explain it but confused to which way you are talking about.  When I sat behind them, it was much easier to explain and I can literally take their hands and fingers to do it much better. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I learned using the 2 bunny ears method so DD has been practicing with that.  She is 6 and we bought her shoes with actual laces so she could learn.  Payless shoes have actual athletic sneakers with real laces for this age group.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

My daughter learned at 4 1/2.  Our school asks for children to know that before starting kindergarten.  Kindergarten teachers shouldn't be teaching children how to tie shoes, zip zippers, or button buttons.

hfs1998
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I had to know how to tie my shoes before I started kindergarten, that was the rule back then.  My oldest learned when she was around 6.  My 8 yr old dd STILL does not know how!  I've worked with her a little but she doesn't get it and frankly isn't that motivated.  She's in the gifted program at school so she isn't too dumb to know, just lazy.  She likes fashion and I'm sure as soon as she finds a pair of sneakers that she really wants that just have laces she will be motivated enough to really learn.

mik1of3
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

DD learned in kindergarten--we taught her at home, but it was one of their 'subjects' in kindergarten, too.

I can tell you right now, though, that the FIRST thing you have to to do is get rid of all the shoes that don't require tying.  My stepdaughter didn't learn how to tie her shoes until she was FOURTEEN.   You want embarrassing--you be at a skate ranch and your TEENAGER has to have someone else tie her skates for her.   When me and DH got married, we started trying to make her learn...but her mom didn't care enough to follow up teaching her.  She thought the same thing you did...and just kept buying the velcro and slip on shoes.  SD had to be publicly humiliated before she could motivate herself to learn how.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Quoting mik1of3:

DD learned in kindergarten--we taught her at home, but it was one of their 'subjects' in kindergarten, too.

I can tell you right now, though, that the FIRST thing you have to to do is get rid of all the shoes that don't require tying.  My stepdaughter didn't learn how to tie her shoes until she was FOURTEEN.   You want embarrassing--you be at a skate ranch and your TEENAGER has to have someone else tie her skates for her.   When me and DH got married, we started trying to make her learn...but her mom didn't care enough to follow up teaching her.  She thought the same thing you did...and just kept buying the velcro and slip on shoes.  SD had to be publicly humiliated before she could motivate herself to learn how.

I agree.  When we go shoe shopping for our kids, I'm so suprised to see so many shoes that do not require you to tie them.  Most companies are making shoes with velcro and  elastic to keep them on.  It's a shame, really.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

What helped us was that our kids were in soccer when they were learning and their soccer shoes have shoelaces so it had to be done all the time.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Don't stress.  Start working on it a little each day (or at least a few times each week), but never for too long at once.  Don't cause stress over it.  Tying shoes and riding bikes and the like are developmental milestones all kids don't reach at the same age.  Some kids can at 4 others not until they're 9 or so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN