Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Learning to tie their shoes...

Posted by   + Show Post

What age/ grade did your child learn to tie their shoes?  Please don't bash, but my dd is almost 7 and almost out of 1st grade and still doesn't know how to tie her shoes.  She accellerates in every aspect of school and is at the top of the classs, but for some reason shoe tying just isn't her strong point.  IDK maybe I'm just a horrible teacher.  I always thought it was something they learned in Kinder...but they never did cover that!  LOL  And now, almost all kids shoes don't need to ever be tied!  She has a pair of Sketchers that just slip right on and never come untied.  She has zipper shoes, sandals and little slid on Vans.  Any pointers on how to teach kids how to tie their shoes?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Replies (11-17):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

My boys were 7 and in 2nd gr. I tried working w/ them on it, but for some reason it never clicked until my uncle worked w/ them on it. I have no idea what his secret is- maybe it's just that he's goofy and not Mom or Dad : )

Dd is 6, in kindy, and has made a start on learning- she's been trying to teach herself : )

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

My ds is 7 and is in 1st grade.  He sort of knows how but is not very good at it.  He doesn't like to practice either.  He will avoid wearing tie shoes unless he absolutely has to.

I don't have any advice except practice, practice, practice.

jaytee
by Jen on May. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM
My 10 year old ds has been tying his shoes since he was about 6. My almost 9 y/o and my 3 y/o daughters don't know how to tie their shoes. I've tried several times to teach the 9 y/o and it always ends in tears. I think I'll try Steels tip!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My dd was 4. My mom taught her, and dd practiced by tying all her friend's shoes at school! LOL! Even though my dd knows how to tie her shoes, she will still try to get me to tie them for her. I would practice every single day. Show her how to tie them, and them make her try to do it herself. It might be easier for her to practice with her shoes off, or even practice tying your shoes. She will get it soon enough!

nickellmomof2
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm soo glad my dd isn't the only one!  Thanks for the great tips...I think I'm going to have her start practicing today!

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Older ones were 5, youngest was 6 and he's still not very good.

family in the van   Mom of four

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM
My kids kearned in pre-k, it was actually part of the curriculum. DS now keeps his sneakers loose enough so that he can take them off and on without tying/untying them. I love him but he's the epitome of lazy. :-[
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)