Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Not allowed to walk our kids to their class*added on*

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

So our counties school board as passed a new rule that says "starting next year you will no longer be allowed to walk your kids to their class after the first 2 weeks of school". This rule does not make me happy. I do not walk to older kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade) everyday but occasionally I will if I need to ask the teachers a quick question or pay for something. but My youngest will be starting pre-k next year and I have walked my other 2 in pre-k for most of the year. I think this kinda takes away from the whole "open classroom we have nothing to hide" thing. I'm thinking about talking to the school board about it. what do you think? Is it a big deal or is it just me?

**I feel like I should add on to this because there are alot of comments on how walking them to class is disruptive to the class time starting. Here kids have to be to school no later than 7:45 but can be dropped off as early as 7:20. My kids are at school at 7:30. Almost every child eats breakfast at school in this time so most of the time there are maybe 4 kids in the classroom doing busy work class does not start until 8:05. 20 minutes after the tardy bells rings. so me walking them is not a disruption. The teacher usually talks more to me than I do to them. I do not walk my kids if they do not want me to my Kindergartener and 2nd grader do not like it I mostly have issues with my dd starting pre-k. which is a school of nothing but 500 pre-k students who also eat breakfast every morning during the  7:20-8:05 time frame.

Mom of maddie 8, Jonny 6, katie 4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My two are in kindergarten and pre k this year and our school doesn't want parent's walking the kids in the school. Not because they don't want and open door policy but because of the safety of the children in the school. After school starts you have to be buzzed into the office and then you can't get anywhere else in the school until they buzz you through another door also for the safety of the children. Good luck.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM
My kids never wanted to be walked in but its discouraged anyway in their schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I think my son's school tried this or it was that you couldn't stand in line by them.  Now you have to stand outside the fence area while the kids wait for the teacher.  You can walk along with them if you want.  Of course if you're too late for the line then you have no choice but to walk them or send them by themself because the line's no longer there.  Either way it does make me wonder what they have to hide & that's because I've been there and seen some things I don't think are professional.  I would say something if it bother you. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I've actually never heard of this, normally ds gets dropped off at the door and we watch him go in. I would think it's being done for safety reasons.

EthansMomma129
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I think most schools actually do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jurnee14
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I never walked any of my kids to class. I dont see why it would be necessary. I dont recall it ever being done at my older kids school, but I do know thats its allowed the first week of school at my youngests. I think my kids would have been mortified though if I walked them to their class.

RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

So if the school has 4 pre-k classes of 20 pre-k students that would be 80 parents roaming the halls. They school board is trying to reduce its liability and bring a better safety factor to the school. The school my children have attending, I always had to sign in and sign out anytime I went past the front desk.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
The schools here have the sme rules. Everyone lines up in thecafeteria, parents are allowed in the cafeteria, but they are walked to their classroom by staff. Parents are NOT. Allowed unless they are volunteering and haveto be fingerprinted and background checked!

One big reason is so they monitor who has access to the kids. Ie: a non-custodial parent can't come in and get a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandie66
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been driving my daughter to school all year since I've been unemployed since July. No one walks their kids to class. All the cars are lined up in the morning and the safety patrol gets them out of the car and they walk to class themselves. Starting Monday I begin a new job so she will be going to the before school daycare and I will have to walk her to that classroom, but only because I have to sign her in and then sign her out in the afternoon. I see the parents who walk their kids to school in the morning and they only leave them there too and walk away. I don't think it's odd at all. The only thing I detest are the parents who leave their kids outside the gate before school starts because they either can't pay or don't want to pay for the before school day care. That gets me angry because anything could happen to those kids while they are waiting for them to open the gate.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM
2 moms liked this
In addition to the safety examples others gave, it's also simply not the time to ask a question or pay for something. That teacher is preparing for the day, getting the kids settled, etc., they don't really have time -and shouldn't have to make time-to answer questions from you or any of the other 79 (to use previous example) parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN