Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Not allowed to walk our kids to their class*added on*

Posted by   + Show Post

So our counties school board as passed a new rule that says "starting next year you will no longer be allowed to walk your kids to their class after the first 2 weeks of school". This rule does not make me happy. I do not walk to older kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade) everyday but occasionally I will if I need to ask the teachers a quick question or pay for something. but My youngest will be starting pre-k next year and I have walked my other 2 in pre-k for most of the year. I think this kinda takes away from the whole "open classroom we have nothing to hide" thing. I'm thinking about talking to the school board about it. what do you think? Is it a big deal or is it just me?

**I feel like I should add on to this because there are alot of comments on how walking them to class is disruptive to the class time starting. Here kids have to be to school no later than 7:45 but can be dropped off as early as 7:20. My kids are at school at 7:30. Almost every child eats breakfast at school in this time so most of the time there are maybe 4 kids in the classroom doing busy work class does not start until 8:05. 20 minutes after the tardy bells rings. so me walking them is not a disruption. The teacher usually talks more to me than I do to them. I do not walk my kids if they do not want me to my Kindergartener and 2nd grader do not like it I mostly have issues with my dd starting pre-k. which is a school of nothing but 500 pre-k students who also eat breakfast every morning during the  7:20-8:05 time frame.

Mom of maddie 8, Jonny 6, katie 4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I always walk the kids on the first day and that's it. Once they enter the doors, they're school property (so to speak). if I have a question for the teacher, I email it, they don't need me interrupting the morning routine. To be honest, i've never had another patent say a word about this IRL but it's usually an issue on CM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a teacher and like the rule at my school honestly. I  do not have time to take parent questions in the morning. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but when several parents walk their kids to class, and then a few parents suddenly have a question for me, I am distracted and my time is being taken away.

Plus, it reduces the amount of parents roaming the hallway at the start of the day. It is a SAFETY issue too.

Tara922c
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter's school does not allow parents to walk their kids to class, ever, even on the first day of school. All visitors must sign in at the office, and have their driver's licences ran. It's not a criminal check, just to determine who is in the building at all times. Her school is not in a neighborhood, and there is no where for all the parents to park anyway. It doesn't bother me any. She will have a meet the teacher night right before the first day of school. At that time we will meet the teacher, drop off her supplies, set up a lunch account, and see her classroom. For the first week of school; parent volunteers will walk the younger kids to the cafeteria or to class. Parents can visit any time, but they cannot walk their kids to class in the morning for the sake of walking their kids to class. I am sad I can't walk my dd into class, but then again, I am glad her school screens every adult who walks into the building.

familyof5now
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The schools here do let the parents do that after the first 2 wks of school. They say it teaches responsibility to get to their class on time without a parent walking them to it. For the car line parents are not even allowed to get out of the cars; they have teachers/principal helping them get out of the cars.

Of course our school does not have a pre-school.

PinkParadox
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Quoting EthansMomma129:

I think most schools actually do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I have never walked any of my kids to class.  I would drop them off and watch them go in.  With my youngest, I drop him off at daycare and he walks with a group of kids to school since the school is right across the street.  Even when he was in preschool last year, I didn't.  He was picked up by the bus and taken to school.

family in the van   Mom of four

Threes.Company
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Our school has that policy from day 1.

I have a child entering kindergarten next year.  This does not make me happy at all, but I can see why they do it.  It is not safe to have all these adults walking around the building.

Think about how easy it would be for a so-called "parent" to walk into the building in the morning, find somewhere to hide and then do harm to children.  They'd have no idea if the adults coming in were actually parents or not.  They aren't going to ask for ID from every adult.  Not to mention, just because someone is a parent, does not mean they are safe to be around other people's kids (or even their own!).  There are too many crazy stories of horrible things happening in schools.  If I have to be denied my wish to walk my kid in so that my child's safety can be assured, then I can accept that.

anon1986East
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My kid's school has had the rule for several years now. Too many parents were walking their little ones to class and it was causing too much traffic in the hallways, too many kids were throwing tantrums about their parents leaving which disrupted any surrounding classes, and several kids have fallen on gotten hurt because there was such little room in the hall that kids and parents were knocking into each other. There were also times that it seemed like every parent had to stop and speak to their kid's teacher at the same time, the pre-k and kinder classes are only half day so every minute really counts with those classes and they were starting late because of all the parents.

Now with the pre-k and k classes parent's can still visit so long as they discuss it and schedule it with the teacher, even if it's just for 20 or 30 minutes. If a parent needs to speak to a teacher they can call the teacher at the school or e-mail them. Every town employee and school staff member has an e-mail address through the town's official website. I like the school much better by not allowing parents to walk their kid to class every single day; however older siblings are still allowed to walk the younger ones to their class.

Cristi1004
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Why would it be descouraged? I am really curious why it could be a "safety hazard" for a mom/dad to make sure their own child goes to the correct classroom?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

It would be a safety hazard because you have too many people clogging the hallways, what if there were a fire or another type of emergency that needed a quick evacuation?  That would be very difficult with so many people in the halls , not to mention that it is easier for the little ones to get knocked down and trampled with so many adults in the halls.  Then there is the issue of who is actually in the halls.  You have no way of knowing that every single adult in the halls is the custodial parent of a child or even a parent at all.  It would be very easy for a non-custodial parent to abduct a child in the crowded  halls and there is always the slim chance of a pedophile lurking the halls with this system as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)