Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Not allowed to walk our kids to their class*added on*

Posted by   + Show Post

So our counties school board as passed a new rule that says "starting next year you will no longer be allowed to walk your kids to their class after the first 2 weeks of school". This rule does not make me happy. I do not walk to older kids (kindergarten and 2nd grade) everyday but occasionally I will if I need to ask the teachers a quick question or pay for something. but My youngest will be starting pre-k next year and I have walked my other 2 in pre-k for most of the year. I think this kinda takes away from the whole "open classroom we have nothing to hide" thing. I'm thinking about talking to the school board about it. what do you think? Is it a big deal or is it just me?

**I feel like I should add on to this because there are alot of comments on how walking them to class is disruptive to the class time starting. Here kids have to be to school no later than 7:45 but can be dropped off as early as 7:20. My kids are at school at 7:30. Almost every child eats breakfast at school in this time so most of the time there are maybe 4 kids in the classroom doing busy work class does not start until 8:05. 20 minutes after the tardy bells rings. so me walking them is not a disruption. The teacher usually talks more to me than I do to them. I do not walk my kids if they do not want me to my Kindergartener and 2nd grader do not like it I mostly have issues with my dd starting pre-k. which is a school of nothing but 500 pre-k students who also eat breakfast every morning during the  7:20-8:05 time frame.

Mom of maddie 8, Jonny 6, katie 4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Replies (71-80):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
In our public pre-k I walked my boys to their hall (front hall was open for parents and you didn't need a pass). Their classroom was about 15ft from the hall so I could easily see them enter. Now if I needed to see the teacher I just signed in and got a pass; it was no biggie.

Now at our next school, K-1st, I walked my twins in everyday. The school had 1180 elem students and my boys were walkers only so I took them and walked them in. In first they had a teacher at the back door and you had to sign in and get a pass but you could still walk them the whole way.

Now at our new school (2nd grd) the kids line up and teacher brings them in as a group. It is like this for all grades but some older grades stop this after second week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Judesmom333
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I don't like it either. my sons in kindergarten and I can't stand that I can't walk him to class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Just say your goodbyes in the car.  Just because you feel there is ample time before class starts (because you drop them off early) doesn't mean the teachers aren't busy or that the schools have to know who is in the building for security reasons.  This is the kids' turf, you know?  You let them out of the car and they go where they are supposed to go.  I think they will survive not being able to have you walk them all the way to their classroom.  There needs to be a routine all parents have to follow so that the school runs efficiently.  You cannot have separate rules for different families.  They simply cannot have too many adults (non staff) walking around the school.  The only way to prevent this is to ban all parents from entering school grounds.  If they make an exception for you, they have to make an exception for everyone and that defeats the purpose. 

PS  I am sure they would love for you to volunteer for school functions though.  Parents' involvement is so important.  If you want to spend more time in your kids' class, I suggest you volunteer.

I_told_you_so
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

While YOU may not create a disturbance, another parent might.   Remember that this rule is not in place because you did something wrong - it may have been because another parent created disturbances to other teachers elsewhere in the building and rather than choosing to barr only certain parents, they decided to barr all of them.   Teachers are using the time before class to do last minute changes to lesson plans, supervise students in the room, and doing other things in their classrooms.  Schools here have the gym and cafeteria open before classes start - the cafeteria for breakfast eaters and the gym for those who do not eat.  Then at 7:45, ALL of the students go to their rooms.   This allows the teacher time for last minute photocopies, lesson plan changes, telephone calls, and sometimes teacher/administration meetings.   If you have something you need or want to discuss, payment etc, make an appointment with the teacher the day before so that you are excused from the no-walk policy.  

I_told_you_so
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

ADD Meds are not the same as epi-pens and inhalers.  Schools here allow students to carry epi-pens and inhalers but not their other meds - their stand is only medicines necessary for emergencies.  ADD is not an emergency; they have time to walk to the nurse's office.

Quoting mjande4:

Here's what I think the law actually states.  It is legal for the schools to allow students to carry inhalers/epi pens, however, it is up to the districts to decide whether they want to do this.  The districts are not under any legal order to allow it, they just are able to if they choose.  The liability is still REALLY high and I do understand why many choose not to go down this path.  One particular case comes to mind involving a student I currently have that was selling his ADD meds to a girl that over-dosed last year and almost died.  The schools are kind of in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" spot.  Those that REALLY need the medicine are being underminded by less scrupulous peers.

Quoting chantismom:

I lived in FL for my daughter's Pre-K and they didn't want parents walking the kids then because at that age the "don't go Mom" or crying sometimes made the class get to a late start.  Now my DD is in 3rd grade and her school allows it as long as you sign in at the office and get a badge. However there is no chatting with teacher or child, because they prefer parents call or email, again so that the teacher can get the kids settled and focused on classwork.  I don't think parents should walk the older kids every day but I also don't think a school district should ban it. What if the child did a project and needs help carrying it in to class? Or hurt themselves (sprained ankle) and needs assistance?  

Just a thought about checking with state law. I only say this because my daughter is asthmatic and her school district requires that inhalers be kept at the nurse's office and she is not allowed to have on in her backpack (for attacks at bus stop or on bus itself).  I just read a news article that all 50 states have laws saying that children may carry inhalers and epi-pens on their person and yet many school districts violate these laws by requiring the  meds to be kept at the nurses. If my daughter is having an attack in class and has to wait for someone to run downstairs to the nurse/s office (and god forbid she's in the bathroom) and then get back, that can make quite a difference in the outcome.  I don't think there would be a law about walking the child, but about parents having access to their children and the teacher.  Just a thought.

I_told_you_so
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Think of it this way.    While YOU may not be able to get to your child, neither will some weirdo who tries to get in the school and take a kid, or a non-custodial parent that wants to get revenge or take the kid out of state.  The more security means your kid is safer.   I think that's an acceptable trade off for helicopter momship.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

If that is or was the case I would home school. My child means way more to me than any policy that just does not make sense. Safety of the children Is a Parents responsibility. I want to know who is taking care of my child during school hours. With their policy you cant visit the school. I volunteered at all my older childrens schools.

Quoting raczac:

My two are in kindergarten and pre k this year and our school doesn't want parent's walking the kids in the school. Not because they don't want and open door policy but because of the safety of the children in the school. After school starts you have to be buzzed into the office and then you can't get anywhere else in the school until they buzz you through another door also for the safety of the children. Good luck.

momofpreemieboy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

My childrens school is fenced and you have to go to the office first but you are allowed to walk your child to class and volunteer. That should be a norm.

Quoting I_told_you_so:

Think of it this way.    While YOU may not be able to get to your child, neither will some weirdo who tries to get in the school and take a kid, or a non-custodial parent that wants to get revenge or take the kid out of state.  The more security means your kid is safer.   I think that's an acceptable trade off for helicopter momship.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

If that is or was the case I would home school. My child means way more to me than any policy that just does not make sense. Safety of the children Is a Parents responsibility. I want to know who is taking care of my child during school hours. With their policy you cant visit the school. I volunteered at all my older childrens schools.

Quoting raczac:

My two are in kindergarten and pre k this year and our school doesn't want parent's walking the kids in the school. Not because they don't want and open door policy but because of the safety of the children in the school. After school starts you have to be buzzed into the office and then you can't get anywhere else in the school until they buzz you through another door also for the safety of the children. Good luck.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Quoting I_told_you_so:

I am not disagreeing with you, BUT I wouldn't put it past a kid to sell his inhaler and then another one gets sick either. Not all kids make good judgement calls, especially when money is involved. That what's my point.
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM
It's just you. Kids that ride the bus all manage to get to the right classroom. Your kids will figure it out too.
raczac
by Cindi on May. 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Well I for one am glad it is in place. Twelve to fifteen years ago in a town less than an hour away from where I live a little boys was picked up by a step mothers friend and was killed later that day by the step mother who was jealous of his relationship with his father and didn't want the baby she was pregnant with to have to share his or her time with the sibling. So if this is what we need to keep our kids safe then I say go for it. I can go in and see what is going on in class I just have to checked in through the office and they also encourage us to come and eat lunch with them anytime that we can. 

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Quoting raczac:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN