Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bullies - The Real Story

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM
  • 2 Replies

This is a major societal issue throughout all schools.  Bullying comes in many forms as well.  There is name-calling, cutting in lines, bossing others around, physical abuse and so much more.  While in most states there are laws against bullying in school these laws are often not enforced by school authorities.  This leaves parents in a situation of frustration and anger themselves.  Parents go to schools to advocate for their children only to be told by teachers and principals that nothing can be done to the offending student.  This is nothing more than a popularity contest.  Those students not fitting the status quo are often outcast, segregated and discriminated against by not only other students but by staff as well.  Letters to the superintendants and school board fall on deaf ears, as they are unwilling to believe that these issues exist in "their" schools. 

For these reasons children begin to withdraw, become depressed or fight back and become bullies themselves or worse they snap mentally and incidents like Columbine High School take place.  This is a sorrowful fact.  So what is a child to do?  Telling a teacher is called tattling.  Telling the principal results in a "problem solving" session in which the child being bullied is lectured while the bully is in the classroom with no consequences.  Again I ask...where does this leave the bullied child?

Do we try to force our children to "fit in" just to make it through school?  Do we send them to therapists to keep them mentally stable in the face of the ignorance of others?  Do we put them on drugs to make them complacent?  Or do we teach our children that they don't deserve to be treated like dirt?  Individuality is part of being a melting pot country although most people cannot or will not respect that fact.  They automatically judge others based on looks, race, religion, etc.  It's about time that schools begin to teach non-segregation and treat all as equals.  It starts with the adults in the schools and then the children learn from them.  When a student sees a teacher showing favoritism then the student believes that it is all right to segregate based on favorites as well.  This needs to be stopped.  Parents can teach this all they want, but when a child's peers are mistreating them the parents are left to deal with the aftermath of that situation.  Often times the aftermath of the situation will take days or weeks for the child to get over.  The scars left on the delicate mind of a child are left forever.  When a child comes home and says, "Everyone at school hates me" there is a problem....a serious problem.  These types of problems are not the fault of the child.  It is the result of a multitude of children harassing the young child who just cannot understand why no one likes him or her.  As the child gets older the problems get worse.  It becomes fistfights, poor grades, skipping school, doing drugs to escape the issues of dealing with the other students. 

Every teacher or principal that ever makes a child feel inferior should be relieved from duty....immediately.  Every student that bullies another student in anyway should have all school privileges taken away for the rest of the year.  A second infraction should result in expulsion.  It is the duty of every teacher, principal, noon aide, and volunteer to actively listen to the children in their care.  If the child is having a problem it should be address right then....not wait until the child can't remember the details of the situation or has forgotten about it.  There is no waiting to put a murderer in jail...why do you wait to punish a bully?  This is unacceptable.  A bully is the murderer of innocence.  A once loving and sweet child will become withdrawn, downcast and no longer talk to anyone about any issue.  Is this how we want our children to be?  Is this the child we want to live with?  Or do we want to continue to allow the jocks to beat up the nerds, Goths, geeks, etc.?  I thought equality meant equal rights for ALL...not just the favorites.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momofpreemieboy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Unfortunately in one school my middle DD was being bullied. I went to the school and let them know what was happening. They told me that my family is racist and they were calling CPS. I asked on what grounds were they coming up with this. Are you ready for their answer it floored me. Most of the children in her class are hispanic. Her bully just happened to be hispanic, so we were a racist family. I have never let my children put anyone down for color, race, religion, or any disabilities. So I couldn't believe that they used that on us. I want bulling stopped no matter who it is. Race has nothing to do with it. We moved out of the area so she could go to another school.

LadyBear1
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

That is disgusting.  To say that you are racist because you are standing up for your child is just wrong on so many levels.  Due to the high level of bullying in our current school we are in the process of moving as well.  I just cannot take any more of the sadistic attitude of this schools' administration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN