Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do You Tell People Who Knock On Your Door...................

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 93 Replies
2 moms liked this

What do you tell strangers who knock on your door and ask for money?!?  We have had LOTS of people (mostly men) knock on our front door begging for money and also there have been several home invasions in my neighborhood the past few weeks.  I have gotten to where anytime I answer the door and I don't know the person  I carry our .22 with me and make SURE they see it when the door opens and I also have a tazer in my pocket and I never unlock my screen door.  Generally once they see my gun the suddenly "forget" what they came to the door for.  I don't mind helping sometimes but I had a guy walk up on me and my 2 boys one time and when I refused to give him money he called me a B*tch and walked away.  Sorry, gotta take care of my family first.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I ignore the door. I do not have the time to deal with people I do not know.

When it comes to dealing with people who need money. I tell them sorry. 

BV88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Wow I've never had someone come to my door asking for money... If they did I would tell them to piss of and NEVER come back or I would be calling the police. That's ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissa632
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM
That doesn't happen where I live now, but it did in a couple of other places I've lived. I think the look on my face says it all so I give the look & shut the door. Rude? Maybe. But so is going door to door begging for money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeremy1
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't answer
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually don't open the door unless my husband is home or unless I'm expecting someone.

I've never had anyone ask for money. It's usually sales people or people asking me to sign some kind of petition/encouraging me to vote.

PTK11
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Just make sure you're aware of what and where they are! Often times a robber will knock before breaking in... Have a weapon or make a quick phone call and let the person (Mom, DH, etc) know what's going on in case the person starts to break in

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

I ignore the door. I do not have the time to deal with people I do not know.

When it comes to dealing with people who need money. I tell them sorry. 

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Wow. I've never heard of that before... I typically don't answer the door if my husband's not home and I'm not expecting somebody

Momof2almost
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Our neighborhood used to be quiet and perfect and seems here lately it's a flippin crime scene!   We helped ONE girl one time because she was pregnant and it was storming outside and I felt bad for her and we called her a cab to take her home (we paid for it) and since then we get at least 3 people a week asking for help/money.  Its just so annoying!!!! 

LadyBear1
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Unless I know who it is my dh answers the door.  That's usually enough of a deterent for anyone.  He's a big guy and looks like he could handle just about anything.  lol

chinosruca
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Never ever ever! No one has ever knocked on my door asking for money. I've never heard of anyone doing that. Crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)