Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Do You Tell People Who Knock On Your Door...................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you tell strangers who knock on your door and ask for money?!?  We have had LOTS of people (mostly men) knock on our front door begging for money and also there have been several home invasions in my neighborhood the past few weeks.  I have gotten to where anytime I answer the door and I don't know the person  I carry our .22 with me and make SURE they see it when the door opens and I also have a tazer in my pocket and I never unlock my screen door.  Generally once they see my gun the suddenly "forget" what they came to the door for.  I don't mind helping sometimes but I had a guy walk up on me and my 2 boys one time and when I refused to give him money he called me a B*tch and walked away.  Sorry, gotta take care of my family first.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (91-93):
Kmary
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Wow I've never experienced someone coming to my door for money.  But we occasionally have salespeople or religious nuts (sorry if that offends, I'm very religious myself but don't believe in soliciting my religion door to door). 

When it comes to most things in life, I'm generally accused of being too relaxed and laid back. But with the issue of strangers at the door, I admit I'm overly paranoid.  A few years ago a friend of mine was murdered when she opened the door to two men claiming to be police officers.  And she lived in one of the safest towns in the entire country.  Since that happend, I get pretty nervous if someone comes to the door and I'm not expecting anyone.  I generally just don't answer.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!!!??????  Where do you live that people do that?!???? 

Momof2almost
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

We actually live near an Army base, literally right at the gate!  It didn't use to be bad here because it is a neighborhood full of mostly retired, elderly people and their are some young families.  I LOVE our cul-de-sac!  But there was one time a young girl came to our door she was pregnant and it was storming something fierce so she asked if she could use our phone (in our home) to call a ride.  We said NO but that we will call her a cab and pay them to take her home so we did.  Ever since that time we have had problems with people coming to ONLY our door.  You just can't be nice to people anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN