Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do You Tell People Who Knock On Your Door...................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you tell strangers who knock on your door and ask for money?!?  We have had LOTS of people (mostly men) knock on our front door begging for money and also there have been several home invasions in my neighborhood the past few weeks.  I have gotten to where anytime I answer the door and I don't know the person  I carry our .22 with me and make SURE they see it when the door opens and I also have a tazer in my pocket and I never unlock my screen door.  Generally once they see my gun the suddenly "forget" what they came to the door for.  I don't mind helping sometimes but I had a guy walk up on me and my 2 boys one time and when I refused to give him money he called me a B*tch and walked away.  Sorry, gotta take care of my family first.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
PinkieRed
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Wow, that's very alarming and scary! Did you call the police on the guy who approached you in your yard? I sure would have.

Quoting Momof2almost:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I RARELY answer the door if I don't know who it is. I answer it when I can tell it is a JW or other church person, or for a delivery and I always have my protection trained German Shepherd sitting behind me. She is a great deterrant and I love when people freak out when they notice her. (Yes,I'm evil)

Not evil at all!!  Just this past week we have had 2 home invasions where the homeowners were shot (but not killed) withing a half mile of my home.  And a few weeks ago I was getting out of my car, my 7 year old had jumped out to play in the yard and my 16 month old was still in his car seat.  I never saw the guy walk up to me but when I turned to get out of my car he was RIGHT THERE AT MY WINDOW!  I checked on my 7 year old b/c I was about to turn into Mama Bear and he gave me this long story (has 6 kids, no job, no utilities, etc....) and asked if he could cut my grass. I said no I hve no money and he said "well you can go to the bank while i cut the yard".  When I said no a 2nd time he yelled at a friend of his who was down the street and said "this B*tch didn't even give me $5!!!!"  After that I bought a tazer and i've been practicing my shooting with our .22!  i'm not playing anymore and then i put up a no soliciting sign.  It's worked for about a week but i'm always flaunting that .22 when I answer the door.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2almost
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

No, I was such a nervous wreck tring to keep track of my boys that I didn't.  Called DH though and he was pissed!  But it was one of those moments where if the guy had decided to do something I wouldn't have been able to protect both my kids and that is what hurt me the most.  One was out in the yard and the other was in the car so it was hard.  I was shaking for about an hour afterwards.

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Never had that happen. I have had teenagers stop to try to sell something. Usually if I don't  know who is at the door I let my dog be at the door with me and keep the screen closed. Our big dog is 120-130 pounds.

Cherish77
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Never had that problem. Most of the people I get are kids selling candy, and sometimes our old neighbor selling raffle tickets for her sons football team. Oh JWs and Mormon missionaries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2MDS
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never had anyone come and ask for money but I get religious people all the the time come and knock. I sweetly tell them my "wife" isn't home and I can't make religious decisions for me and the kids without her. I had one lady tell me that I was going to hell because homosexuality is a sin. I told her thank you and then slammed the door in her face.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

We get alot of kid's from the local highschool coming around looking for money for candy bars, cookies, magazine sales etc. They are usually raising money for their sports teams, Senior trip,  Band instruments etc.  I will purchase candy from time to time, but usually I will decline what it is they are selling, and they move on.  Usually just telling them I don't have any money on me works.  The only people I have problems with are the occasional vacuum cleaner salesmen. You literally have to slam the door in their face before they get the hint that you are not going to let them in your house.

rnmom4lif
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM

if i dont recognize the person on the other side of the door then  i dont answer it. when im out and people beg for money i just tell them i dont have any or i wish i could but im broke.

momamanda
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

If I don't know who you are I do not answer the door!

Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I just tell them, Sorry. and walk away.

Once I didn't answer my door because I was doing dishes and decided that it was MY house and if I didn't want to answer, it was OK. Then the idiot went to the back gate and started asking the kids in my backyard questions. I WAS FURIOUS!! How dare you talk to kids in the backyard when I was clearing in the house and not answering (you can see clearly into my kitchen). I chewed him a new a$$.

chantismom
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Can  you put a sign on your front door saying that anyone soliciting for money or anything else will be  considered trespassing and reported to the police? (Even if they won't be) That might deter the" just asking for money" folks. If you give money to one person they sometimes tell others where they got it and then everyone comes to you.  I beleive in helping others but protecting your family is first and foremost.  Also, I saw a news show one time that even a sign on the front lawn or door that says you have a security system sometimes deters crooks. If you can find a sign (if you can't afford the system) that might help. I know Radio Shack sells a "DIY home security system, our neighbors have it/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)