Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Do You Tell People Who Knock On Your Door...................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you tell strangers who knock on your door and ask for money?!?  We have had LOTS of people (mostly men) knock on our front door begging for money and also there have been several home invasions in my neighborhood the past few weeks.  I have gotten to where anytime I answer the door and I don't know the person  I carry our .22 with me and make SURE they see it when the door opens and I also have a tazer in my pocket and I never unlock my screen door.  Generally once they see my gun the suddenly "forget" what they came to the door for.  I don't mind helping sometimes but I had a guy walk up on me and my 2 boys one time and when I refused to give him money he called me a B*tch and walked away.  Sorry, gotta take care of my family first.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I've never had anyone ask me for money. That's weird. Also, if I was in your situation, WHY would you answer the door at all? Just say, "We dont want anything, no soliciting." and call it a day. Sounds like you're in a pretty dangerous area.

Prissy_Gurl
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't open the door. I don't care how loud the t.v. is, or if they can hear me and my kids.

XJH143
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Just don't answer the door.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I have never had anyone beg for money. I have had men show up and ask if I have any jobs they can do for some money. Such as maybe paint, clear out junk, cut grass, etc. Usually they don't care what you have them do or the amount you pay them.

Heck, one time it was maybe 20 minutes after I cut grass a guy knock on the door asking for some kind of work. So I had him clean my bathroom for ten bucks. Hubby was home, so I wasn't afraid. And hubby was upstairs the entire time cleaning the bedroom, while this guy cleaned my bathroom. And he did a GREAT job cleaning it too.

LexRi0709
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM
I live in an apt complex and we get the high schoolers selling the newspaper subscriptions for money for college. I did a 6 month subscription for $13 getting it delivered daily. We have had a couple people come by and try to come in, but I keep my foot behind the door and my dog is always right beside me. He scares most people away. While I answer the door dh gets the gun, just incase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I_told_you_so
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The problem with ignoring the door is that they may think no one's home and break in on you.

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

I ignore the door. I do not have the time to deal with people I do not know.

When it comes to dealing with people who need money. I tell them sorry. 

KME3
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Never happened to me... but I would say no..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I've never had people knocking asking for money. That's very odd to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LorisChar
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It doens't happen often. I always have my frotn door open, unless it's night time. I have the stomr door locked all the time (with TWO locks). We have a couple of people that will come up and knock and ask if were going to town anytime soon and if they can get a ride (we live in the country 5 miles out of town). Some we know, some we don't. When we tell them no, they just say thank you and walk away heading towards town. We don't many door to door type people out here. We did once and my dog scared them away and they haven't been back since  LOL

hance6
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Same here have English Mastiff and I say I can't let go of her, because she bites, I only have sales men, or Jahova's coming to the door, but the minute they hear our big girl and get a look they usually say it looks like it's not a good time, and leave,lol.

Quoting othermom:

Never had that happen. I have had teenagers stop to try to sell something. Usually if I don't  know who is at the door I let my dog be at the door with me and keep the screen closed. Our big dog is 120-130 pounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)