Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fed up....what would you do?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM
  • 15 Replies
Ok, my son is playing little league this spring. His coach has a son on the team. The coach puts his son in the clean-up spot every game (4th) and only plays his son at 1st and 3rd.

Now I would not care if his son was good BUT his son is no superstar! He is ok at playing 3rd but when he plays first-base he is terrible. This kid was actually mad at his teammates and pouting b/c he missed throws or plays at first.

So we have a game tomorrow, the coach sent out the line-up and the coach has put his son at first base three innings. I am getting fed up; all the other kids have to play outfield several times but this kid never has to play anything but 1st and 3rd.

So if you were a parent of a child on this team what would you do?

Should I talk to the coach and say that I think it is not fair that he play his son in all the best positions?

Thanks for your help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Wow, that is bad. Does it bother your son? Ive told mine if he has a problem with where he is playing he needs to tell the coach. He always starts outfield.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM
No, the fielding doesn't bother my son he plays a bunch of different positions (LF, LCF, SS, P & C).

The batting line-up however is a different story. My son has gotten hits almost everytime he's up the past few games but never gets home b/c he is always the last decent batter before all the kids that can't hit. The coach's kid struck out every time up. This is frustrating for a lot of families on the team.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Wow, that is bad. Does it bother your son? Ive told mine if he has a problem with where he is playing he needs to tell the coach. He always starts outfield.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I'd talk to him. When my husband coached soccer parents made suggestions often, and he didn't take offense to any of it. Well one lady was b----y, but you know there's always one in the bunch. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM
What would you say?

I'd love to say, "hey it is not fair that your kid never plays in the outfield." Or better yet...your kid is not all that, lets be fair with batting and positions!

I have coached several teams (tball, basketball, flag football, swim team & soccer) but am always over-aware of being fair with the team and my kids. I am so over this coach; we have been playing since Feb and he has been so biased towards his son. Unfortunately we play on this team till the end of June.

Quoting Schleetle:

I'd talk to him. When my husband coached soccer parents made suggestions often, and he didn't take offense to any of it. Well one lady was b----y, but you know there's always one in the bunch. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM
I'd just tell him you've noticed that his son gets a lot more time in those two positions, and you dont think it's fair to other members of the team. If he gets a little offended its because he knows its true, but maybe he doesn't even realize he's doing it. Hopefully you get a coach you're happier with next season.
Quoting vermontmoms:

What would you say?

I'd love to say, "hey it is not fair that your kid never plays in the outfield." Or better yet...your kid is not all that, lets be fair with batting and positions!

I have coached several teams (tball, basketball, flag football, swim team & soccer) but am always over-aware of being fair with the team and my kids. I am so over this coach; we have been playing since Feb and he has been so biased towards his son. Unfortunately we play on this team till the end of June.

Quoting Schleetle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrystallKlear
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I know exactly how you feel. My advice would be to mention to the coach what positions you would like to see your son play. I have 4 boys ... all of whom I had to deal with what you are dealing with. Only we are a football family. Every year the coaches sons would play key positions, running back, quarter back, tight end, wide receiver, etc. My sons however, began to play at the age of 8 and as time went on, they got to be so good that the coaches could no longer over look them. Now in high school my two oldest got to try out, the play your own kid days were over and they really were judged on what they knew. Now they play the key spots because they are not only good at them but good team players. Your son is young enough that it should be fun, and he will learn the fundamentals without all the pressure. encourage him to work with his team and play his part well. I worried so much too, and felt my kids were unfairly treated. But I taught them to go after what they want and stay at it. Now all of them including my youngest who is 13 play exactly the positions they want. My 13 year old just won out as QB over the coaches son because he was better and a better team player. He would always tell the coach when he was littler that he would play wherever he needed him and then he would play with so much heart that even the coach couldnt play his son over mine. My other boys play tight end wide reciever and full back. But I will say this, I did always talk to the coach or tell my children to speak up for what they wanted and be persistent. If you go at the coach with the un fair talk he will shut you down if you go to him and explain that your son would really like a chance to learn how to play different bases, or whatever (not sure of baseball terms) then they usually are pretty good at helping out. Its all about your approach. And I would also encourage your son to talk to his coach in a confident and respectful way and tell him what he wants, or ask for what he wants. Hope this helped some :)

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, this coach is majorly stuck up and thinks his s&@t doesn't stink. My son is playing the bases he wants but he is not batting where he wants. My main issue is with this guy putting his son at first and then we lose b/c his son can't catch and balls go by him left and right. Or his son will plant his foot on the bag and not move and then talk mean to the other players b/c the ball is not thrown exactly at the bag. His kid rubs me the wrong way but then again so does his dad.

Thanks for your comments!

Quoting KrystallKlear:

I know exactly how you feel. My advice would be to mention to the coach what positions you would like to see your son play. I have 4 boys ... all of whom I had to deal with what you are dealing with. Only we are a football family. Every year the coaches sons would play key positions, running back, quarter back, tight end, wide receiver, etc. My sons however, began to play at the age of 8 and as time went on, they got to be so good that the coaches could no longer over look them. Now in high school my two oldest got to try out, the play your own kid days were over and they really were judged on what they knew. Now they play the key spots because they are not only good at them but good team players. Your son is young enough that it should be fun, and he will learn the fundamentals without all the pressure. encourage him to work with his team and play his part well. I worried so much too, and felt my kids were unfairly treated. But I taught them to go after what they want and stay at it. Now all of them including my youngest who is 13 play exactly the positions they want. My 13 year old just won out as QB over the coaches son because he was better and a better team player. He would always tell the coach when he was littler that he would play wherever he needed him and then he would play with so much heart that even the coach couldnt play his son over mine. My other boys play tight end wide reciever and full back. But I will say this, I did always talk to the coach or tell my children to speak up for what they wanted and be persistent. If you go at the coach with the un fair talk he will shut you down if you go to him and explain that your son would really like a chance to learn how to play different bases, or whatever (not sure of baseball terms) then they usually are pretty good at helping out. Its all about your approach. And I would also encourage your son to talk to his coach in a confident and respectful way and tell him what he wants, or ask for what he wants. Hope this helped some :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Maybe he knows that his son can only throw the ball that far.  It takes a good arm to play the outfield and throw the ball back in to make a play!!!

Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I don't know if you should say anything. It happens here every year with every coach. They tend to favor their kids. 

I'm thinking along the lines of "life's not fair" and "unless you want to coach and volunteer, you shouldn't be complaining".

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM
sounds like your probably not the only parent that feels this way. maybe talk to a parent you know, and maybe together you can come up with a solution you could talk to the coach about that won't make him defensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)