Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Needing some advice about starting Kindergarten...

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter will be 5 the end of this month and is of the age to be starting school.  I have no idea how to go about starting the process for school!  Will she need to be tested first?  When do I register her?  Any help is appreciated, I'm so ignorant to these things.

FYI:  She didn't attend a preschool.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Replies (21-27):
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Call the school she'll be attending & ask.  Our school started registration 2 months ago. 

KW1280
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

First she must have all her shots, Birth Certificate, SSC and you have to have an I.D.

Call your local elementary school to ask where would you go to register.  Places have a central registration office and some places don't.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM
We wanted our daughter in a special magnet school so we had to do extra stuff. Otherwise you just need to fill put a form, provide birth certificate and SS card, shot record and physical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

It's been so long since my son was in kindnergarten I can't remember. All I can remember is that we had to prove he was caught up on his vaccinations. When it's about a month away from school starting, start watching the news. They will tell you when it's time to sign up for school. Good Luck and Happy Mother's Day

pookienbobosmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Check your school districts website for info. Ours already had kindergarten registration but I'm sure you can schedule a time to go in or find out if it can be done online. Hubby was able to fill out all the paperwork online for our son this year when he started Kindergarten. Then they scheduled a meeting where they gave him a quick test to see where he was at for placement. Hubby said it took maybe 10 minutes.

momma2bubbas
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

In our district, March was what we call Kinder Roundup. We registered at that time. Contact your local school district and find out which school she will attend. Then go to the school and pick up regis. papers. (or the district may give them to you). there is no deadline here- unless the spaces fill up -then in our case the child would need to attend a different school. There will be immunization requirements. A few papers to fill out about health history etc. We had to show two current utility bills. Go from there!

Good Luck!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

As you already know, specifics are going to vary by district, but I'll tell you what we do here to give you some things to think about.

Our registration started in February I think it was, but they are still taking registrations now.  I don't think it's ever "too late" but it's best not to wait any longer.
Our school does "Kindergarten RoundUp in March.  It's a lot of info for the parents as for what to expect their child to be doing during the school year and it's also a chance for the kids to spend time in the classroom and have exposure to their environment.  This is nice because then it's not completely new on day 1 of school.
We also have "Meet Your Teacher" night one week before the start of school and then a 15-20 minute Kindergarten Orientation a couple days before the start of school where each parent(s) meets one-on-one with their childs teacher.  Ask your school about any and all of these types of events.  Getting as much info as you can, meeting the teacher ahead of time, all that stuff will help to put you at ease when your child heads off the first day.  It will also help your child to have met the teacher beforehand as well.  If your school doesn't have specific events like this, you can call and request a meeting with your child's teacher before the start of school.

We have to supply birth certificate, shots record (or waiver) and baptism certificate (although that's just because mine is a private Catholic school) but not all of this is required AT registration.  My son is starting Kindy in the fall and he is all registered but we still need to get him his Kindy shots and I still need to find where his birth certificate is.  We are just reminded to provide them before the 1st day of school.  So if you are having trouble finding documents, don't let that hold you back from at least doing the registration.

Ask also about transportation.  The way mine does it is that they automatically assign you a bus stop location based on your home address.  If you want a different location, you have to fill out a change form and submit it to the transportation office (which is different than the school district).  I have to do that each year because my kids catch the bus both ways from my daycare providers house.  That form has a due date sometime in July so they have enough time to create the bus routes.  If you're going to drive your child instead, most schools have "car line" policies, meaning there is a certain way they want you to drive in and drive out to keep the line moving smoothly.  There are also going to be rules for car line so if you're planning to do that make sure to familiarize yourself with those procedures.

Make sure also, once you register, to read over the handbook that they give you very carefully.  There will be a lot of information in there that will be important for you to know so don't just toss it aside.  It will be a lot to take in at first but after the first year it will get a lot easier.  My oldest will start 2nd grade this fall and my youngest will start Kindy this fall and for both of them it's so much easier than it was when my oldest started Kindy.  Once you know what to expect it all goes so much smoother.

Above all - don't be afraid to ask questions.  Call the school office, that's what they are there for.  My school actually does "Ambassador Families" for new families (which is mostly Kindy).  The ambassador family is a resource for questions about anything from the new family.  I used my ambassador family often when my oldest started Kindy and she was always very helpful in answering all the questions I had.  Unfortunately, I don't think every school does something like that.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)