Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading and sight words

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM
  • 17 Replies

DD is 5 and will be going into K this fall. She really wants to read. The teacher says she know she can do it just have to get the sight words down. So I need some ideas to help her learn sight words over the summer. They have not done any sight words in  Pre K but the teacher says she knows DD is ready and has the heart and will power to do it. So what can I do to help her start reading and not get mad at me. Games, books, any thing.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Prissy_Gurl
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Just ask the school for a list of sight words.

hollinicole
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I have a list but its getting DD to learn them.

Quoting Prissy_Gurl:

Just ask the school for a list of sight words.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I despisesight words....read read read..use books like Dr. Seuss that have the same words repeated and she will learn those by sight but also practice phonics.

The If you give a moose a muffin, or If you take a mouse to school books are great too! There are a couple others like them that will reinforce frequently used words.

IMO, its better to understand phonics and grammar rules.Sight words don't teach decoding or being able to learn new words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The kindergarten hooked on phonics is great. Also flash cards, a game called pspelling bee bingo is pretty fun and has some words. Also try making words with magnetic letters on the fridge and sounding out the letters to form the words. There are some fun learning games from sesame street at http://www.sesamestreet.org/browsegamesbysubject

Here is another site that looks interesting. I haven't used this one though

http://funschool.kaboose.com/preschool/learn-abcs/games/index.html

hollinicole
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I think the same thing on sight words. She knows her sounds of the letter, she can do 1st grade work books on sounds and spelling words but for some reason has the hardest time reading. She tried to look around the page to figure out what it might say then look and sound out the words. I thing we have a few of these books.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I despisesight words....read read read..use books like Dr. Seuss that have the same words repeated and she will learn those by sight but also practice phonics.

The If you give a moose a muffin, or If you take a mouse to school books are great too! There are a couple others like them that will reinforce frequently used words.

IMO, its better to understand phonics and grammar rules.Sight words don't teach decoding or being able to learn new words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Thanks will check these out

Quoting othermom:

The kindergarten hooked on phonics is great. Also flash cards, a game called pspelling bee bingo is pretty fun and has some words. Also try making words with magnetic letters on the fridge and sounding out the letters to form the words. There are some fun learning games from sesame street at http://www.sesamestreet.org/browsegamesbysubject

Here is another site that looks interesting. I haven't used this one though

http://funschool.kaboose.com/preschool/learn-abcs/games/index.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Leapfrog has some great reading DVDs. They're also available on Netflix streaming
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Also.. The PBS website or starfall...both free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

For just getting started reading, I loved the Bob books - they come in a box set, and they start with very simple words that are repeated a lot. They build up to different letters in each book.  They just really worked for us - totally made reading click. Then once DD had those down, we went on to the usual - Seuss, Elephant and Piggie, stage 1 Dora readers.  

Be sure to keep it fun - the worst thing you can do right now is push her too hard, and turn her off reading. She's already well prepared for Kinder, so just try to have fun with her and not turn it into a battle of wills. 

Another set of books I really like is the "Games for Writing" and "Games for Reading" , both by Peggy Kaye- they are full of short little *fun* game that help with reading and writing. My daughter begs me to do these with her!  

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I made my daughter flash cards with all of her sight words on them. We just review them everyday. I read them and she repeats, until she finally remembered them on her own. She has them all down now. Plus we read books at her level, use starfall and reading a to z. I also download reading apps for her on my Kindle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN