Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hard core thumb sucker!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 27 Replies
Hello! I have a slight problem. I am the mom to a hard core thumb sucker. My son is in the third grade and still sucks his thumb, he does it out of habit. He has literally been sucking his thumb since he was in my womb, (I have the ultrasound to prove it!) nothing has worked to help him stop. I've tried the pepper and hot sauce, taping his thumb, etc. my dh sucked his thumb for a long time. I don't want him to be teased and I def don't want him messing up his teeth. Any help?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I'm not sure but I'm thinking if it were going to mess up his teeth, it would have by now. 

Maybe getting teased would help him stop. I know that sounds harsh and I'm not a huge fan of that but I got nothing.

What helped your DH finally stop?

QueenCreole313
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He started smoking. (He didn't stop until we were married.) He didn't even realize he did it. I think it's a hand mouth tick. From what people say he may just stop on his own or will replace this habit with something else. (Hopefully not smoking!)  

Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Oh crap... That's not the answer I was looking for. 

Maybe he could chew gum?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

He started smoking. (He didn't stop until we were married.) He didn't even realize he did it. I think it's a hand mouth tick. From what people say he may just stop on his own or will replace this habit with something else. (Hopefully not smoking!)  

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I got nothing.  My 3yo does it & I've tried the same stuff.

whitmomoftwo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM
My daughter was a finger sucker ALL the time! Right after she turned 8 she had to have braces and she started sleeping with a glove on her hand. It has been since September and she no longer sucks it and is able to not have the glove on either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamondsetter
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM
I can't offer any advice because I'm in the same boat as you...if you find the answer let me know! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I also have a 3rd grade son who is a thumb sucker. He only sucks his thumb when he's tired and is falling asleep though, so I just let it be. I figure it's just a comfort thing, and he'll outgrow it.

It's funny that he sucked his thumb from the time he was a little baby, but his older sister never did. She only liked pacifiers as a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonesMama
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

What does the dentist say? Is it messing up his teeth yet?

The boy I nannyed for sucked his thumb til about that age. His dentist was so irriated by how many degrees his front teeth were being pushed out. It was pretty bad. He had to go to the orthodontist and get an appliance put in there, which didn't allow him to suck his thumb. Good news is, it worked, and he didn't go back to sucking after it was removed. He has since started braces/retainers/head gear and his teeth are looking great.

matofour
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM
We have tried everything! My almost eight year old is like a crack addict with her thumb.
She didn't even start sucking her thumb until she was THREE!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!
We have tried everything, the only things we haven't done is have the dentist install spikes on the back of her top two teeth (they glue them like braces, not point, just enough so they can't comfortably suck their thumb), or a thumb brace. Which is just so expensive.
She does it only when she's tired, but it seems like that's all the time! She doesn't do it at school...ever.
Maybe one day she will stop....I hope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

This isn't an issue I have ever had to face with my boys. Maybe ask his dentist about it in front of him. And once the dentist explains the damage it will cause his teeth, he might stop sucking his thumb. Or like Cindy said, maybe being teased will help stop him from doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)