Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (101-110):
Sarahbeth7
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that a teacher told you this. In a public school a teachers job is to always meet the child where he/she is at, regardless of skill level. That means if he is above where he should be, she should be challenging him!

trz031407
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM
My sons VPK teacher & pediatrician both advised that I ask his kindergarten teacher to supply him with "busy work"

If I encounter this situation I think I would actually ask for a dr's note (lol) as a request to keep my son occupied!

His VPK teacher will give him work to do when he starts acting out. Writing on the board, then erasing & starting over. Working extra on letters, reading a book with his butt IN a chair. He's well past where he needs to be academically & she knows this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
americamom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Very sad. In the day of Internet and lets face it, the next grade within probably walking distance, there is no reason that a teacher cannot find material to take whatever he/she is doing to the next level through enrichment lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Makeaday
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The teacher doesn't want to take the extra effort to teach the brightest child and just expects them to be quiet and wait for the year to end.  I was that child and many years the teachers gave me advanced work and encouraged me to keep learning new information.  I wasn't allowed to be bored and listless.  I was challenged.  That is not the norm and few teachers will take the time to challenge the brighter children.  Cookie cutter education is easier and all that they are expected  to do.  If this is a trend at your child's school move him to a more progressive school.  If that is not possible, you need to step up his education at home.  Parents are the first line of teaching anyway.

justgrape723
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

then the teacher needs to get creative and find challenging work for him. If she doesn't the child will learn to dislike school and or become disruptive. She may need to seek out third grade teachers for some third grade work. And this may be a pattern for him through out his school career.

Melissa_4

Sounds like either A, the teacher is not challenging her students enough, or B, the kid may need to move into the GATE program (Gifted And Talented Education) because he's above the curve.

Sweet_Carol_126

My granddaughter who is 2nd grade in a public school in CA and has a number of hispanic students who may or may not be native speakers and she is reading Harry Potter as they are permitted to read what they want (as long as grade level or above) and they take tests based on the book.  I am not sure if that is on the computer or with the teacher.  But she is understanding what she reads.  That seems very young for her age, but she loves Harry Potter.  She is a very bright kid.  She also is singing in choirs and may start an instrument.  She has a high imagination and is artistic.  She recently was given  pieces to make a snowman.  it included gloves, a scarf and a broom and a top hat.  she used the broom to have the snowman sit on and hd his scarf painted in Griffindor colors and the top hat on his head and she titled it Harry Potter Snowman.  The teacher said, "very creative" as he was expecting normal snowman out in the snow.  LOL.  I loved it.

She spent a lot of time drawing beside  her sisters as they did their work in school and they enjoyed art.  Kids can learn a great deal of things at home.  Hopefully they can read books they enjoy at school.  There are great computer programs to grade students on the books they read.

Quoting JeniNicole83:

My son was bored with school, the time he could have spent learning other things he was just there with nothing to do. He is in the 3rd grade. I pulled him out of school in September and we have been homeschooling ever since.

ekerazy78
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM
I am a former teacher. When things like that happened in my class I would either have an extra sheet for those kids or allow them to do a puzzle quietly.
SailorsAngel
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Another suggestion would be to ask the teacher or school to test your child for the gifted program.  My son and daughter both had the problem of being bored because they would finish their school work long ahead of the other kids in their class and would be bored.  They just understood and comprehended the material better than their classmates.  Here the teachers unfortunately don't teacher far from the state requirements.  So, that has helped them because the class work is a more advanced.

grace1973
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I have a friend who is a teacher and is extremely passionate and good at what she does.  But she is required to follow a state curriculum.  They do still have 'gifted and talented' education, perhaps you can have him tested for placement in GATE? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)