Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
maidjillian
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be disappointed and disgusted.  School doesn't have to be boring.  Teachers who make school fun are usually the ones with students who do well in class even if the subject is "boring."   When students are engaged, they absorb new information.  This teacher needs to be reminded of that; your child does not have to get used to be bored in school. The teacher needs to be more proactive.  Don't accept this response as okay.

Maevelyn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I would see about having my child moved into a more advanced program it's simply not possible to tailor an andvanced class for just one child. 

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be disappointed in the teacher. Even if the child is advanced, there has to be something better for the child to do than being bored. Why isn't there a classroom library or other quiet activities where the child can read or keep busy when they're done with their work before other students?

GraceHudson
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM
bump

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Our school woud find work to challenge the kids.  My middle dd was finished with all K work before the end of the year, and they had her starting on some 1st grade material to keep her challenged.

gcstar42
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be upset and tell her she needs to help him find something to do. She should still have him do the regular classwork the other kids are doing, but if he zooms through it super fast and is just sitting there then she should find special projects and things for him to do.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My second grader reads at a 5th grade level, and is advanced in all other aspects. She often complains of being bored. It's not something I've discussed with her teachers yet, but she often acts up when she's finished her work in 5 minutes and the rest of the class is still going. I'm not really sure how to approach it. The only time I get contacted is when my daughter is acting out, and the only reason for this is usually because she's sitting there with nothing to do. I don't think it's acceptable to say a child needs to accept being bored. They should not ever have to be "bored" in their learning environment. The school should be challenging him on all aspects.

JessaMom82
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

This

Quoting raczac:

I personally would think the teacher is to lazy to try and find something for the child to do to keep him or her from being bored in class.

LucyLue5
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Oh mama... I see you posted this at 2am and I can totally relate to the middle of the night thought process. You are the mom... you didn't say if you have a son or daughter, but regardless I would follow your instincts.  Is another school an option? (We live in a town so small we only have one school and one class per grade) The good news for now is that school is almost out... what do you think about homeschooling your child this summer and skipping a grade next year? The other thing though is that 3rd grade does seem to step it up and is harder... and maybe a new teacher will make ALL the difference. I would be helpful and involved and pop in and try to watch your child when they can't see you... I have learned the hard way not to always take everything the child says too seriously because they might say they are bored... and you watch the in the classroom completely engaged. Also if the teacher was any good she wouldn't say that they should "get used to being bored".  An example would be my oldest who is now 16. When she was in private christian pre-school, they said that their opinion was to hold her back from starting kindergarten. We did end up doing that and by mid year she was helping to teach the other children how to read.. she and her teacher loved it and she learned along with them and it was good for her self-esteem. If I was getting no where with a teacher, I would def be talking to the principal. I don't know if any of my rambling has helped.... but at least know you aren't alone and that this teacher is very wrong for a statement like that.

corrinacs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM
3 moms liked this

I would overstep your teacher and talk to the team lead or the principal.  This happens all too often :(.  Its sad because these children are super smart...the future Einstein's and Steve Jobs's" but this is what happens.  I would inquire further up :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)