Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (121-130):
amberrjoy
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Try GATE
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dinc
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

If the teacher really told a child to get used to being bored, that was very unprofessional.  There are always activities kids can do when they get their work finished that will enrich their experience and not be too much for the teacher to keep track of. 

However, I once taught a class where one child could not read(fourth grade--because mom didn't figure it out until then--in a different school) all the way to a highly gifted student who could whip through anything in minutes.  I tried all year to keep him engaged.  His mom had an interesting take on this.  She wanted him to do all of the work he was so "bored" with and then whatever else I gave him.  She did not want him singled out.  She realized that he would be working with all sorts of people when he got out of school.  She wanted him to learn that young.  Smart lady.

I taught another girl who was extremely rude.  This was not in a school environment but a class nonetheless.  She was one of the worst behaved children I have ever known.  Her parents said she was bored and had done all of what we were teaching before.  Other parents told us that she was the rudest child they had ever known and was unwelcome at many homes.  Boredom does not excuse rudeness or misbehavior.

Water_geM
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

id say the school needs to start challenging him before he loses interest in school.

Jenny7800
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That's horrible!!  If the teacher can not keep the children entertained, especially in the second grade, then they are doing something horribly wrong!  I would tell them that they need to do something to keep my child actively learning something or advance my child to another grade where they could be constantly challenged.  I graduated school a year a head of my original grade because I found the work tedious, and it was the best thing ever!  Being in a higher class pushed me to do better.  No matter how young or old my child is, if they came home and said "mom, school is just boring for me."  but had the grades they needed to etc, I would actively start looking for a way to help them!  That teacher doesn't deserve to teach!

yourhonour63
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think the teacher's not a very good teacher! Wonder what she would have said to my daughter who was reading at a grade 5 level in grade 2??? 

That's ridiculous.  NO child needs to be bored in class!! It is her job to teach children at whatever level they are at: ahead, at grade, or behind. Of course, here school goes to end of June. I know other places are done next week. If there's a lot of school left, I'd (as a teacher) initiate a novel study with children like yours. If school was done next week, I'd maybe bring in word searches, crossword puzzles, other fun learning activities to finish off the year or maybe work on other skills that still need some more work. I would NEVER tell a parent her child needs to get used to being bored in class!!! Ugh!!!

BekkieBoodle
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Ummmm, wow! I would think that they are not a very good teacher. I would talk to the principal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you expect a teacher with 29 other students to build a special program for one child?? 

We had Challenge in elementary school, it was like a "club" that students went to MWF sometime in the morning for students who were ahead of the others. Is anything like that available?

crystal.davis78
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

They should be testing him for gifted and talented, not telling him to get used to being bored.

JeniNicole83
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
My son couldn't get into Harry Potter, books nor movies. Right now we are reading Island of the Blue Dolphins. It's one that I hadn't read yet. Next we will start The Hunger Games. They are below his grade level reading-wise, but trying to find what interests him with reading is difficult. I love to read, especially young adult books. I read no less than 80 books a year. For history I had him choose something at our local history museum so we are going to be learning about the Civil War. We have reenactments we can go to. In a couple of weeks we will spend a week on science. We are taking a mini vacation to Tulsa and will visit the zoo and aquarium. Ilove the field trips we are able to take now. I work weekends so homeschooling allows us to do things on my days off during the week. He doesn't get bored anymore like he use to.

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126:

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
This is why we Virtual Schooled our dd this year for K and will be straight up homeschooling her next year. The schools here do little to nothing for gifted children in K-2 and only do a 1 time a week pullout program for 3rd-5th graders.

Dd already reads at a 6th grade +reading level with comprehension, does all basic math functions, add, subtract, multiply and divide, fractions, basic algebra, geometry and squares and square roots. Dh is going to be taking over her Math instruction soon because that is my weekest subject. She is also learning to write basic computer code and make graphics for the game that she conceptualized.

Ds is also doing very well but will attend a small, unit study based preschool in September to assist with his writing as he's a lefty and is having issues realizing that it's okay since we're all righties. He gets his left handedness from my grandfather along with his eye color. Ds is a very visual/kinesthetic learner so we will likely homeschool him as well.

I saw that your ds's school doesn't start their gifted programs until 4th grade. I would definitely talk with the principal about subject, if not whole grade acceleration, for next year. Helping the other students is a good thing to learn but not if that is the only thing that he is learning. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN