Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommynac
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I'd tell the teacher to do their flippin job.

littlelambe2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM

lazy teacher

deccaf
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I was the child that was ahead of my peers.  I most likely would have been diagnosed ADHD in today's world.  Back then, I was given extra work, helping the teacher grade work from other classes, sent to the Resource Room to help tutor other students, just in general given other stuff to do.  I was also allowed to bring books to classes with me so if there was no work, I was allowed to read quietly.  That is a useful, productive way to help a student.  Today, they just want to medicate and stiffle children.

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM
3 moms liked this
I would be grateful that she was being honest. Teachers have to teach up to thirty kids at one time. Exactly how are they supposed to teach them all at different levels? I know there are subjects in school that my kid finds boring so he just finishes the work and then does something else whether that's finishing assignment that he found harder or reading a book. There are always going to be kids who are smarter than average and finish before anyone else. I was always that kid and most of my teachers just told me to keep a few books on my desk so I would have something to do. Only one was ever difficult, my second grade teacher didn't allow that so I spent a good 80% of my time sitting day dreaming and all she ever did was send home letters saying I wasn't doing anything. Useless.
incognito116
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Part of the job is to teach to all levels. Any teacher who refuses is lazy and should find another profession.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I would be grateful that she was being honest. Teachers have to teach up to thirty kids at one time. Exactly how are they supposed to teach them all at different levels? I know there are subjects in school that my kid finds boring so he just finishes the work and then does something else whether that's finishing assignment that he found harder or reading a book. There are always going to be kids who are smarter than average and finish before anyone else. I was always that kid and most of my teachers just told me to keep a few books on my desk so I would have something to do. Only one was ever difficult, my second grade teacher didn't allow that so I spent a good 80% of my time sitting day dreaming and all she ever did was send home letters saying I wasn't doing anything. Useless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You might have to start shopping around for schools. I needed more from school, I was way understimulated and too smart to fall for the busy work. I didn't get the help I needed and it's been rough. My future MIL is a teacher in a special program for kids with ADD and other issues who aren't behind at all. She is amazing, she has turned the program around so fast! It used to be known as the problem kid class and now it's the activist, kind hearted, communal class. I don't know if you can find any programs that will help your son, but don't just keep doing the same thing hoping he'll change! That's how I ended up dropping out, he deserves better. GL momma, I do not know where to start. Maybe the administration office? They may have good info for you!

goddess99
by Michelle on May. 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think its just another lousy teacher.

ekralevich
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has this problem.  He's in first grade and reads at a 6th grade level. Does math at around the same grade.  He was IQ tested and came up with a 130.  The school he goes to is a small county school and they don't want to help fix the problem.  They just hand him other grade level book and tell him to figure it out.  I'm pissed and have ask for them to bring him up one grade.  They say no.  So I feel your pain.

m3lissa_16
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

This. My Mom never placed me in the gifted program, or let me skip a grade, but every single teacher I ever had found a way to keep me busy. This teacher seems pretty insensitive. Have you had him tested for advanced/gifted placement? He may start acting out in the next years, if he contines to be bored like this in class..

Quoting raczac:

I personally would think the teacher is to lazy to try and find something for the child to do to keep him or her from being bored in class.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. 

ekralevich
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Some places you can only attend the school in your district or pay for another one.  We can't afford private school, I wish we could.  

Quoting lalaboosh:

You might have to start shopping around for schools. I needed more from school, I was way understimulated and too smart to fall for the busy work. I didn't get the help I needed and it's been rough. My future MIL is a teacher in a special program for kids with ADD and other issues who aren't behind at all. She is amazing, she has turned the program around so fast! It used to be known as the problem kid class and now it's the activist, kind hearted, communal class. I don't know if you can find any programs that will help your son, but don't just keep doing the same thing hoping he'll change! That's how I ended up dropping out, he deserves better. GL momma, I do not know where to start. Maybe the administration office? They may have good info for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN