Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (251-260):
2mommies4g
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  I have been a teacher for 10 years and find this teachers response to your son's needs heartbreaking.  I have also taught gifted and am sad that your district doesn't have a program until 4th grade.  Early intervention is key to everything.  The idea of special projects or more challenging work in the skills and concepts the class is covering is not that difficult to do.  In a class of 25-30 students, the teacher should never be teaching the whole class exactly the same.  No way are all of those students on the same level.  That's really sad and only hurts the students. 

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I would tell that teacher to differentiate and do his or her job. I am a teacher, and that's appalling. My son was in exactly that situation at the beginning of the year, and his teacher broadened scope, and had him working on special projects all year.

ambernicole531
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Its horrible. Mine is ahead academically, we just had a meeting, and I am not impressed by the teacher either. Behaivor wise my little guy really needs to get his act together, He did really well the first semester. He is in K and I guess they think he needs to learn to be bored as well. While he is the top of the class academically, he has to EARN the harder work. He is not malicious, just active, and talkative. When I asked why she didn't give him work more on his level, she said if he cant sit still for the easy stuff why should he get to be rewarded with harder stuff. He is reading on a second grade level and had also reached his goals for the end of the year in the first semester.

bowribbonmama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

If class is boring then no learning is occuring IMO

LuvHugs429
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Find a Charter School in your area. Best thing I have ever did for my son. He was constatnly bored in school also.

GraceHudson
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I would be shocked

allbad3308
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

My son had the same issues.  He has moved to a more challenging Charter School.  Can your son read when he is done with his school work?  That helped my son during the transition to his new school.  He  would still like to learn more however he is where he needs to be emotionally.  We do things to engage him outside of school.  Good luck

BadArtWorld.com
milmil06
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I would think the teacher would be talking to you about maybe a private school or something or maybe offering to give him more advanced work in the class room I use to always get advanced work in my classes until I was in 6th grade after the 6th grade they skipped my 7th and put me in 8th but didn't do it when I was younger bc they were worried about maturity but as I got older and they could confirm my maturity was fine to skip and socially it wouldn't hurt they skipped me but at young ages I don't think it's best to skip bc you can't be too sure about the maturity only bc kids will be kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixieangel
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Sounds like a smart ass teacher to me.  I'd be talking to the principal and finding out why this teacher thinks it's ok to be so sarcastic w/ a parent who is genuinely concerned about her child staying engaged in learning when the teacher is just allowing the child to breeze through.  Then I would call the school board and ask them what the options are for your son getting more challenging work.

cjsbmom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

There is no reason why the teacher can't find him more challenging work to do right in her own classroom. My son has high-functioning autism, and while he fell just short of testing into the gifted program, they recognized that he is working way above his peers in class and it is to their benefit to give him harder work. If he's bored, he acts out.

kirstina
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I plan to homeschool using K12 and they will give the next years work if they finish the current  year early. My niece was in 4th grade last year and the teacher said she wasnt allowed to give her more advance work. This year my niece is in private school and getting tons of advance work. She loves it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)