Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (271-280):
Ecobabyz
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I think no teacher can possibly be expected to meet the personal learning needs of 30+ students. Though I admire those who try! At least that's how it was when I was in school, I was VERY bored. That's why we're homeschooling :) To give our kids more opportunities and learning beyond the classroom in the real world. 

LaRaceGirl
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

talk to the principal an school board. bring in a counselor an have him tested by a professional to see if he should be moved into the next grade early. clearly she doesnt care enuff about doin her job correctly. sad that most teachers no longer do. 1 of my kids (the one in 4th grade) had a teacher this yr that would never correct my daughter if she misspelled a word as long as it was used correctly (like if she had to spell out the word HUNDRED for math but spelled it hundered.) i called the teacher out on it an she said she didnt care if things were misspelled for other subjects. to me, it doesnt matter what subject it is, children should be corrected in the spelling of ALL words an the context of how they r used. i can only do so much at home. teachers r paid to teach. but i feel like my kids arent really learnin much in their classes.

mimi1207
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Im a teacher, as a teacher you have to differentiate for your low ones as well as your high ones!! you have to challenge every student wether it be by making it  more hands on more academically challenging or easier!! I teach second grade as well. some kids will be at a 4th grade level in some subjects some at a pre-k level... 

gma12.1
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I had a problem similar to this my 1st grader missed at least 2 days of school every week due to stomach aches or headaches, after doctor said she was healthy I found out she was so bored that going only a couple days a week was her way to not be bored because she made up all her work and the bad part is that she loved school but found a way not to be bored. They wouldn't move her up because she was small for her age and they were worried about peer pressure. Our school was very small and the kids all knew each other and she had friends that were in all grade levels. At the beginning of 3rd grade I was tired of fighting and pulled her out to home school and she went back to public school in 6th grade. Once back in school she wasn't bored but had the ability to take harder classes as it was a middle school (6-8).

NoahsMom1215
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree. Last year, I had to go to my son's preschool director and speak to her about where is was academically. She was bragging on teaching the kids things that my son had mastered at 3 yrs old. She eventually started separate sessions with the older kids to go over more advanced work. But she wouldn't have done it if me and a few other moms had not pushed.

Luckily at his new school everything is accelerated so he is not bored so far. He still has recognized that he learns very quickly so she goes him additional work sometimes. In the beginning of the school year,when some kids were still struggling with reading, she would let him read the class a story.

It sounds like you are doing a good job being an advocate for your son. Continue to do to so. Hopefully he will be in a better situation next year. Continue to challenge him outside of the classroom . Maybe discuss the situation with the principal and see if they intervene. Good luck!!!

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I would tell that teacher to differentiate and do his or her job. I am a teacher, and that's appalling. My son was in exactly that situation at the beginning of the year, and his teacher broadened scope, and had him working on special projects all year.

I_told_you_so
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Montessori schools are excellent, however, it's getting harder and harder to find them, at least around here, as schools add similar techniques to those used by Montessori trained teachers.  I am not sure why the Montessori approach is not being used more - whether it's because there are fewer schools to teach it or because there is a lower request for Montessori teachers.  I know that most people, when faced with a bad school, tend to choose homeschool options before choosing Montessori schools, either because they don't have one near, or they just don't know about it.

Quoting ageofmontessori:

I would be furious for multiple reasons. 1, the teacher worth his or her salt knows how to capture the interest and keep it going. NO CHILD SHOULD BE CONSISTENTLY BORED  in school. 2. Essentially the teacher is telling you it's ok for him to waste his time. 3. The culture of a school that only covers the required curriculum for a given grade and allows no one to move at their own rate is cheating many of the students... those who are ahead and most likely those who are behind. 4. Where is the respect for your child's individual genius? Why should several months of his learning potential be sacrificed? 

Just so you know, Montessori elementary schools are designed with respect for each one's interests and rate of progress. NO ONE is left bored at any time. Mixed ages with a clear academic path and multiple means to acheive assigned learnings makes learning interesting and fun.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Quoting I_told_you_so:

We went with homeschooling instead because the Montessori schools near us are $12-20k per year and we cannot afford that for 1 let alone both of our children.
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Quoting girlieofgod1:

I'm really sorry that you have to deal with this kind of situation.  i know it doesn't work for everyone, but have you thought about homeschoooling?

my son learns differently than others and the public schools I'm not sure would work for him, so we are going to try homeschool.  just a thought.  I hope you can find someting to help him and for sure a better teacher for next year:)

i once had someone who was a kindertarten teacher tell me to stop teaching my kid letters and numbers whenhe was 2 because he would be too far ahead of the other students and teachers don't like that.  So i told her "thats okay since i'm goingto be his teacher.... I don't have a problem with that issue...."  i understand where they come from to a point but schools should have programs for advanced students. why hinder their learning.  if a fire is burning strong why dampen the flames when there is a whole world of knowledge.  they could be hindering someone who could hold the knowledge to cure diseases:)

clapping  Very well said!

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Well that wasn't my first reaction because it's typical of her even though I'm a little surprised she said it.  You can only work with a teacher who wants to be worked with & one who doesn't see it as more work for her or complaining.  I think he finds the repetitiveness stuff he finds boring because he's always known it.  He's just now complaining about it because he's had enough.   I'm sure he doesn't find discussions boring because that in itself would be interesting especially if you want to please the teacher or get a reward, but things like words he finds boring because he can read them already.  She won't give him new ones because that would be 1st grade work.  She's only letting them spell the words now because there's a Spelling Bee kind of coming up.  It's really the Principal's Club where you go to a room & they give you a word to spell & if you get so many right you're part of the club which apparently is a monthly club.  She won't let him do any harder math even though she knows he can because I guess that's 1st grade as well.  She won't let him do anything ahead because it falls into the next grade.  So no.  I don't think he finds everything boring but the boring stuff is more prevalent.  lol. 

I'm not sure how I can work with a teacher who I walk up to & say, "I was wondering if it was possible for him to get a different book, same level than the one being read in class that day.  I'm trying to figure out if he can read on that level or if he's memorizing it because at home he finished it in 1-2 minutes."  She then starts walking around the room saying she doesn't have a higher level until it gets to 16 (at the time it was a level 10).  She says she can give him that level which I agree to.  This was 4-6 weeks ago.  He never got a book.  Mind you when I approached her she already knew what about because I'd brought this up once or twice before.  Well after the 2nd trimester ended 2 weeks ago she moved up to another level & is now sending home level 12 books.  Now I'm not teacher, but I would think if you have a parent interested in their child's learning you wouldn't have a problem providing a book.  I mean how hard is that? 

Quoting susimar:

I know that the first and most popular thing to do is to rip the teacher a new one and type how he/she should be fired...etc.

As an unemployed teacher, I suggest that you work WITH the teacher to find a solution. I'm curious to know if every single thing they do is boring? Even discussions are boring? Topics are boring? 

It's not hard to find extension activities for most topics. It would be nice if you could do some of that research for yourself and send links to the teacher. Unless it's a private school or charter school, I'm sure the teacher has several students who need to be on-level or are average and enjoy her activities. 

I'm surprised the district doesn't have the testing out option so your child can skip a grade. 

Teaching is one of the hardest jobs with the least respect --especially these days. 

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I think that's a Charter school.  You're basically enrolled in school but you do your work at home.  I'm not sure if it's online.  If I homeschool him that's what I'll do. 

Quoting luckychance13:

My son had similar problems in school and he is now in the AP program and home schooled.There is a program in our state FL that allows him to be in public school but do his work online.It is a little more challenging for him and he has ADHD.I dont know if that may be an option for you and your child but thought I would share and hope you get some kind of resolution.Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN