Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (291-300):
JustThinking
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have time to read all of the comments but i wanted to add my comments. 

My daughter is the same way.  I have learned that there are just too many pressures on teachers and some are actually just not good at thinking outside the box. The school didn't want to skip her ahead a grade because she is already young for her grade and they were aconcerned about maturity.

My daughter doesn't feel connected with her peers becasue she is ahead of  them , she feels alone and that is where the boredom comes in. SHe resented always being made to help her peers by a teacher.  Also, she learns new things so quickly  that  she has developed bad (lazy) work habits - and that was a BIG concern for me because it won't always be that easy.  I have done three things:

1) I got her an account on Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/).  IT's Free.  SHe can try new math skills at her own pace.

2) I talked to the librarian about finding her books to read above her grade level.

3) She is involved in a LOT of extracurriculars so that she she can express herself and connect with her peers - student council, girl scouts, dance, orchestra, science club.

AND FINALLY - I told my dd that she needs to get used to being bored sometimes and to try to find her own way to beat the boredom - that is also an important skill for kids (and adults!) to learn.

t_creanskisa
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

if all else fails see if you kid can go to the library  while the theclass works on stuff she has already done. give her school work your self if you have to for her to do there. thats what my dh and had to end up doing when we were in school even the AP classthe school had bord him to tears. he even stopped bothering to do the school work because it was just  too boring.

JustThinking
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

And I want to add this....  It is never too late to speak up.  Talk to your principal now because they might already be working on teaching assignments for next year.  I took the time last year to meet with our principal and he was very helpful.  He had suggestions of which teachers were more challenging and which were most flexible .  Her ruled out the teacher who was only good at teaching the average kid.  We figured out which teacher would be the best fit for my dd and it made a big difference.

Oh and this, too.  be prepared to be told some crazy stuff by teachers.(they mean well, but ...)    I was told that my dd might be depressed or have adhd and that's why she was bored in class.  That was the straw that took me straight to the principal.

JCakebread
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Lol! That's so true. I seldom got into real trouble as a kid,  but I was very chatty. I had some really good teachers who would always find stuff for me to do. It wasn't until I was older that I realized what they  were doing!

Quoting andrea96:

I would tell my child to start acting up in class. Not really, before anyone jumps on me. But, it would be tempting. I learned the hard way that a well-behaved bored student will continue to be bored, while a bored child that disrupts the class will often get higher-level work.

I would talk to the teacher. I wonder if this is coming from the teacher or higher-up. I have known of teachers who were not allowed to give extra work; the reason given was "No Child Left Behind."

erikadi
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I don't know about your situation, but you might look into finding some challenging stuff for him on your own. There might a teacher supply store where you live and you can get stuff from there. My mom used to give my workbooks that have the grade on it.

LaylasMeMe
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This is just ONE of the many reasons that we homeschool..

Sexymom22
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Really, this is sad? To me what that teacher said is, "I'm to lazy to do my job, and make the class more entertaining and challenging for the students, so I'm going to continue doing my tired ass routine."  I feel for you. My best friend has a son in pre-k, and his teacher has told my friend that he has ADD because he finishes with the work before the other kids do and the teacher doesn't give him anything more to do so he gets bored and starts getting into things. He is 5 years old! I said, "Let me get this right, he has ADD because he is getting done before the other kids, and this teacher is too stupid to give him more work so he doesn't get bored and makes him sit there doing nothing." What is so hard about challenging these children. It isn't, "No child left behind." It's, "Lets push them forward no matter how poorly they are doing because we are to lazy to do are jobs and to challenge them to be better smarter people like we should be doing."

familyof5now
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I would talk to the principal and counselor at the school to see if they can help with getting some of the next grade work for your child.

At least here it is call benchmark and my ds1 mastered them fast also but he is only in 1st grade and our gift testing is 2nd grade. It is weird that your school system does not test sooner for the gifted.

RainbowSunshine
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I think the teacher is right.  If it was just him in the class and there were no other classmates to consider I would say that that's just lousey teaching, but not every kid is on the same page in a class.  The teacher has to go at the speed they think they need to go at.  And everyone gets bored.  The smarter they are the more we get.  And everyone has to learn how to deal with it.  How will he ever learn to do all the lame, banal, tasks we all have to do like filing taxes, job hunting, waiting in line at the DMV, etc...

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting raczac:

I personally would think the teacher is to lazy to try and find something for the child to do to keep him or her from being bored in class.

Ditto

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN