Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
mama2gg
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

wow thats one SHITTY teacher she should be giving him HARDER things to that he can be pushed and will be ahead for next year as well!! I would talk to the teacher or someone else about this crappy job

Rosehawk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Wow, punishment for not participating? I'd be all over that teacher, and not in a good way.  I think maybe this teacher needs some remedial training, at the very least, and a new career at the worst.

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would talk to the teacher and ask for clarification. Is the teacher just not giving her more to do because she's not willing to create extra work or are the others so behind that they need her focus more? Have DD pull out out a book and read quietly to herself when she's bored if sh's finished her work..

she feels they need her focus more.  the problem is that he can't sit & do something else while they finish because he has to participate otherwise he gets punished or if it's being done as a class or individual groups they get punished. 

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Quoting Mommy4000:

My second grader reads at a 5th grade level, and is advanced in all other aspects. She often complains of being bored. It's not something I've discussed with her teachers yet, but she often acts up when she's finished her work in 5 minutes and the rest of the class is still going. I'm not really sure how to approach it. The only time I get contacted is when my daughter is acting out, and the only reason for this is usually because she's sitting there with nothing to do. I don't think it's acceptable to say a child needs to accept being bored. They should not ever have to be "bored" in their learning environment. The school should be challenging him on all aspects.

That's my issue.  I've brought it up but have been shut down several times by the teacher.  I don't want to get belligerent with her.  I also don't want to be perceived as a &itch or that mom by going to the Principal or the School District about it.  I know I should, but honestly I didn't think of it after I talked to the teacher.  I figured that was the instruction she'd been given.  I guess if I was truly a helicopter parent I'd have done something about it a long time ago. :D

Aleta775
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I can't speak to what should be done in a 2nd grade class, but there were times I didn't have a lot of options. When I was teaching I did my best to make it interesting, but it was impossible to be interesting all the time. I taught 7th grade, and there were times when I had to make my students copy tons of notes. It is not the most exciting thing in the world, but it is was the most effective way I could impart the information I wanted them to have. Once they had it down, I would do all sorts of activities to further explain those concepts. So, while teachers should strive to make things interesting, it is not possible all the time. We have to push through the boring stuff too, and trust me when I say that teachers don't like it anymore than the students do.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Is it near the end of the school year where you are? You might want to just let it go for now, and maybe speak with his new teacher about it at the beginning of the year. Maybe just bring it up as something you've noticed, and maybe she could make sure he has extra work to challenge him if he gets bored and finishes his work early. I know both of the 3rd grade teachers that my daughter will be going to next year, so it will make it easier to talk to them about what needs I think should be met, without it sounding like a snotty mom lol.

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting Mommy4000:

My second grader reads at a 5th grade level, and is advanced in all other aspects. She often complains of being bored. It's not something I've discussed with her teachers yet, but she often acts up when she's finished her work in 5 minutes and the rest of the class is still going. I'm not really sure how to approach it. The only time I get contacted is when my daughter is acting out, and the only reason for this is usually because she's sitting there with nothing to do. I don't think it's acceptable to say a child needs to accept being bored. They should not ever have to be "bored" in their learning environment. The school should be challenging him on all aspects.

That's my issue.  I've brought it up but have been shut down several times by the teacher.  I don't want to get belligerent with her.  I also don't want to be perceived as a &itch or that mom by going to the Principal or the School District about it.  I know I should, but honestly I didn't think of it after I talked to the teacher.  I figured that was the instruction she'd been given.  I guess if I was truly a helicopter parent I'd have done something about it a long time ago. :D

karisma22
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM
The teacher should be providing enrichment activities for the students who are advanced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysboys123
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had this problem all year with my 8th grader, and now my pre-k is showing the same signs.  My 8th grader is on high school/college level with most subjects, and he gets bored....in turn gets in trouble.  They don't offer any type of gifted or higher advanced than he's already in, so pretty much that's it.....I'm hoping high school will be different.  We are debating putting the younger one in private school, but don't know if we can afford it.

It is really terrible the way some children are being punished with the "No child left behind" excuse.  I mean by that, if a child is not doing work to par for the grade, then they need held back.  Period.  The other kids shouldn't have to go at a slower pace for just a few.  I'm not being mean or critical, and would feel the same way even if my child had a hard time with school work.......

Aleta775
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I just went back and read some more posts. If you are talking about your child finishing an activity early and having nothing to do after, then that is BS. I always had other things a student could do if they finished an assignment early and I had things called "challenge activities" that were of varying difficulty that they could tackle if they were interested and I would always count them as extra credit. Plus, I always let them work on homework in class if they wanted to get it out of the way. There was always something else my students could do.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Quoting LucyLue5:

Oh mama... I see you posted this at 2am and I can totally relate to the middle of the night thought process. You are the mom... you didn't say if you have a son or daughter, but regardless I would follow your instincts.  Is another school an option? (We live in a town so small we only have one school and one class per grade) The good news for now is that school is almost out... what do you think about homeschooling your child this summer and skipping a grade next year? The other thing though is that 3rd grade does seem to step it up and is harder... and maybe a new teacher will make ALL the difference. I would be helpful and involved and pop in and try to watch your child when they can't see you... I have learned the hard way not to always take everything the child says too seriously because they might say they are bored... and you watch the in the classroom completely engaged. Also if the teacher was any good she wouldn't say that they should "get used to being bored".  An example would be my oldest who is now 16. When she was in private christian pre-school, they said that their opinion was to hold her back from starting kindergarten. We did end up doing that and by mid year she was helping to teach the other children how to read.. she and her teacher loved it and she learned along with them and it was good for her self-esteem. If I was getting no where with a teacher, I would def be talking to the principal. I don't know if any of my rambling has helped.... but at least know you aren't alone and that this teacher is very wrong for a statement like that.

I'm going to be looking at our options over the summer.  I like another school district in our city.  The only problem is it's hard to get into because it takes a long time for a transfer request to be approved or denied.  We're also going to see if financially private school is an option.  Or if homeschooling is better since I'm practically doing that anyway with the learning part.  It's funny because he's in K but I didn't put that in the OP because people think differently about it.  My sister and I think that it's the foundation for future schooling & are not happy he's bored already because we don't remember being bored in K.  That's supposed to be the easiest grade & the most fun. 

He likes being in school.  He just wishes he could be challenged & not continuously do the same stuff he knows.  The worst part is it's repetition so every homework & the things they do in class are the same things they do everyday.  I don't want him to skip at this point.  I do like the school in the sense it's open door but don't like this.  Ideally I'd like him to stay at the school since this is where his friends are but have the teacher provide him with actual learning material.   I'm hoping next year he'll feel more like a big kid & if I run into the same problem I'll fight for him.  According to my mom parents have rights & can make the schools do things so that's what I intend to do.   I just have to figure out the remaining 25 days where he's threatening to strike.  lol.  Thanks for your rambling. :D

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

thats terrible!! my 2nd grader is already at the bench mark for the middle of 3rd grade, and when the teachers found this, they have started giving her some extra and harder worksheets to do once she finished her classwork. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)