Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
TheMommaJessie
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

You can request having the child tested out and if the child scores high enough they can skip a grade. being bored is usually a sign that they are smarter than what is being taught and need a challenge. If a teacher can not see the child is surpassing the material being taught then that teacher is not worth a crap.

lalaboosh
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I understand. I forgot to say my future MIL is a public school teacher, that made the story more important I think. You may be surprised at what's available within your district. IDK if you've already explored that. GL, maybe you can find a support group outside of the school that can help somehow?

Quoting ekralevich:

Some places you can only attend the school in your district or pay for another one.  We can't afford private school, I wish we could.  

Quoting lalaboosh:

You might have to start shopping around for schools. I needed more from school, I was way understimulated and too smart to fall for the busy work. I didn't get the help I needed and it's been rough. My future MIL is a teacher in a special program for kids with ADD and other issues who aren't behind at all. She is amazing, she has turned the program around so fast! It used to be known as the problem kid class and now it's the activist, kind hearted, communal class. I don't know if you can find any programs that will help your son, but don't just keep doing the same thing hoping he'll change! That's how I ended up dropping out, he deserves better. GL momma, I do not know where to start. Maybe the administration office? They may have good info for you!

Tara922c
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

It would really depend on what was discussed before the teacher said that. My cousin was upset at her son's preschool teacher because her son would not sit during circle time and wanted to run around the classroom. My cousin claimed that her son was bored and should be aloud to do what he wants, and the teacher said bored or not, he cannot do as he pleases while everyone else sits for the whole 10 minutes of circle time.

Either way, the teacher should have not said "he needs to learn to be bored in school" because it is not professional. I would ask the teacher how he/she can extend your son's learning. Extension is not simply giving him an extra worksheet, but it is giving him more in depth activities to enhance his learning. He may be bored during whole group instruction, but his independent practice should be at your son's level, not the rest of the class. I would talk to your son's school about different programs for high achievers, or have him tested for the gifted and talented program. So I guess my answer is if his teacher refuses to modify lessons to accommodate high achievers or gifted students; I would talk to the teacher and the principal. If it is a situation, like my cousins, where the child does not want to practice writing because it is boring or sit through whole group instruction; I would talk to my child.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting LadyBear1:

I find that appalling and I'm not a teacher.  All students learn at a different pace and teachers need to recognize that and work with it. If a student has reached grade level then they need to be given projects or special interest things to do to keep them from being bored in class.  Being bored leads to problems in class.  That's not good either.

I never thought of it that way until last week 2 times he got in trouble for talking & had his clip moved for misbehaving.  He's also saying that he hates the teacher.  He's never been a problem before & the other teachers he sees during the day love having him in class.  She hasn't said anything to me but that's what his friend tells me & he confirms it.  I don't want him to be that child. 

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

your daughter sounds like my son except my kid doesn't have either of your children's teachers. 

Quoting wakymom:

I'm be upset. Dd started kindergarten near or at where the goals were for the end of the yr on a lot of things, and her teacher has kept her engaged and excited about school. Ds2 has been ahead in reading, and his teachers have been great about giving him books in class that are more on his level so he doesn't get bored.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Quoting andrea96:

I would tell my child to start acting up in class. Not really, before anyone jumps on me. But, it would be tempting. I learned the hard way that a well-behaved bored student will continue to be bored, while a bored child that disrupts the class will often get higher-level work.

I would talk to the teacher. I wonder if this is coming from the teacher or higher-up. I have known of teachers who were not allowed to give extra work; the reason given was "No Child Left Behind."

lol.  I've tried & she puts it off on that but I'm sure if I talked to the principal she'd say differently.  I talked to the secretary who's been there longer than the principal (her 1st year) & didn't get a good vibe.  The principal might do something because she doesn't want anyone going over her head looking bad.  At this point I don't know if anyone would do anything since there's only 25 days left of school. 

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would talk to the teacher and ask for clarification. Is the teacher just not giving her more to do because she's not willing to create extra work or are the others so behind that they need her focus more? Have DD pull out out a book and read quietly to herself when she's bored if sh's finished her work..

she feels they need her focus more.  the problem is that he can't sit & do something else while they finish because he has to participate otherwise he gets punished or if it's being done as a class or individual groups they get punished. 

jujubear1
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd has gotten used to being bored, despite the teacher trying to keep her interested.  She told me from the beginning of the year that she had dd helping other students that are behind and puts her at tables (they have "tables", not "groups" lol) with other students that need help with reading or math.  Every day, I ask dd what she learned and I get "Nothing."  Her teacher also told me that dd gets frustrated if she does try to push her.  I have seen that firsthand....I could never homeschool cuz dd gets frustrated if she doesn't understand something right out of the gate.  I have to wait until she's ready to learn and then it'll click.  I also know that dd has learned this year and it's not even close to the "nothing" she tells me. Lol 

.Diddles.
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I was bored through grade school and middle school because I was not being challenged enough. I was ahead of most kids and do not remember the teachers doing anything about it. 

I would recommend talking to your son like my Dad did to me. He just told me to slow it down, double check my work, and help my friends if they asked. More often than not, my friends asked for my help and I did end up learning more. Talk to his teacher, ask her what she can do for him. It is her job. If she doesn't act like she cares then go to the principle. 

mom2MDS
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

As a mother of 2 academically advanced children I would not be happy if their teacher told me that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN