Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you think if the teacher...UPDATE (I talked to the teacher)

said your child needs to get used to being bored in class?  I mean a child who's already at the benchmark (I guess that's what it's called) for the end of the school year months before it ends.  For example, a 2nd grader who is already where they need to be in terms of the end of 2nd grade. 

NOT one who just finds school boring but isn't where they need to be end of the school year.

THANKS!  I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who responded & gave me some advice/suggestions on how to handle the issue.  I liked as many as I could instead of quoting everyone.  Just to answer the Gifted question for those who have mentioned it.  The district doesn't have a program until 4th grade & that's afterschool.  My son is in the highest class for his grade so there's nowhere else for him to go so switching teachers isn't an option.  Unfortunately what would be considered their Advanced classes is determined by the number of kids in the grade so although it may start out that way if there are too many kids then it gets eliminated.  Oh & when I asked her in November for challenging work she told me she couldn't give the next grade's work because he'd be bored in that grade as well.         

UPDATE:  So I talked to the teacher in an attempt to get her to kind of switch it up for the kids who are already where they need to be.  She said she would think about it & see if she could come up with something.  BUT school ISN'T ABOUT ENTERTAINING STUDENTS & some stuff they just need to kind of deal with it because it's not that long (the task she's asking them to do).  She says she can't have the others do something else because only about 3 of them aren't where they need to be so if she has the others sit & do something else it would be a distraction.  Or if she had my son do something then the others will want to know why they can't.  Sigh. 

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
new2this09
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think the teacher needs to differentiate her instruction more to tailor it to the needs of higher achieving students. I'd inquire about this option.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I would be disappointed in the teacher. Even if the child is advanced, there has to be something better for the child to do than being bored. Why isn't there a classroom library or other quiet activities where the child can read or keep busy when they're done with their work before other students?

Good question.  I know the way she teaches everyone has to be involved whether they like it or not.  I mean if you don't do it then you won't be rewarded with a trip to the tree box or treasure chest. 

Elle.tea.22
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM
I wasn't challenged. My mom would keep me close while she helped my brother with math and stuff so by the time I was in 1st grade I knew 3rd and 4th grade material. It was fun, and his math books had lots of pictures. My teacher would take my book away do I wouldn't "treat it like a coloring book" and get ahead of the class cause then I'd be bored. Next year the teacher was nicer and suggested I took placement tests cause she didn't think it was fair for me to be punished for knowing too much. After a week of 2nd grade they put me in 3rd, with 2nd grade PE cause I was tiny and in 3rd grade the kids got to play inline skate hokey. Lol
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would talk to the teacher and ask for clarification. Is the teacher just not giving her more to do because she's not willing to create extra work or are the others so behind that they need her focus more? Have DD pull out out a book and read quietly to herself when she's bored if sh's finished her work..

she feels they need her focus more.  the problem is that he can't sit & do something else while they finish because he has to participate otherwise he gets punished or if it's being done as a class or individual groups they get punished. 

I'm grateful none of my son's elementary teachers have acted that way. Punishing for finishing early makes no sense to me, unless they're given something quiet to do and decide to talk and goof off instead.

My son almost always finishes classwork early, and so he'd be terribly frustrated with school.

I see from other posts that you've had several conversations with the teacher. Maybe it's time to get the principal involved.

mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

Our school woud find work to challenge the kids.  My middle dd was finished with all K work before the end of the year, and they had her starting on some 1st grade material to keep her challenged.

She said she won't do that because he'll be bored in 1st grade.  I can't agree.  He's already doing 1st grade work from his friend & it's not hard for him either. 

Rosehawk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This is probably going to get long. I apologize now.

This teacher reminds me VERY much of the teachers at the school my son went to for Kindergarten and part of 1st grade. He taught himself to read at 4 years old. Read the majority of The Magic Treehouse books the summer before he started Kindergarten. He knew all his colors, shapes and how to count as high as you'd let him go. The hardest "homework" he brought home that year was the Mary had a Little Lamb poem. He had to find all the "m's" in the poem. Yeah, he was beyond bored.

In October, at the parent/teacher conferences I told that very pregnant teacher that I wanted to start the paperwork to get him tested for the gifted (Highly Capable/HiCap) program for his 1st grade year. All I got was lip service. SHE went on maternity leave at Thanksgiving and the regular teacher came OFF maternity leave at Thanksgiving. He missed the testing and I didn't realize I didn't need the school's involvement to HAVE him tested until it was too late.

Because he was bored in class he started to act out aggressively. The school did not want to hear one whit about him being bored in class. They decided he was a bad seed and just plain disruptive.

Fast forward to August/Sept the next year. I emailed the new teacher about my frustrations of the previous year and what my son would do. Previous years she had been teaching 4th grade so handling him as a 1st grader was a breeze. At THAT parent/teacher conference she had the paperwork in hand to have him tested. Unfortuanetely, we moved to our current school district that Thanksgiving. I DID get him tested up here though, and he is about to finish his 2dn grade year in a 2/3 split HiCap classroom. He tested off the charts. Incedentally, I've gotten just a handful of calls home the entire year about his behavior, instead of the 3-4/week at his first school.

NO, a child should NOT "get used to being bored". If a child is bored in class, barring medically diagnosed whatevers, then more challenging/stimulating work needs to be found.

doll0302
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had this problem, and the teacher was just always letting her read books while she was helping other kids, or at times she would ask my daughter to help her with the other students. Well, it is nice to help, but she is NOT a teacher, she is a student. So I spoke to her, and she worked a little harder at getting my daughter more work. 

Nee86
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be shocked and jumping up and down mad. If a child is ready to move on then they are ready to move on. Find something for the child to do!

In my math classes I was slow to pick things up so the teachers always spent extra time helping me. Now in English, I was so bord with what the rest if the class was reading. One of mu middle school teachers took the time to go to thw high school and borrow books for me to read. The rest of the clads would be reading one book for over a month and I would have finished that book and 3 others.
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish they would give him something. OUr school would find something to challenge him. They work hard to work on the child's level whether it is above, at, or below grade level. I'd be frustrated with that teacher too,.

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Quoting Thelmama:

Our school woud find work to challenge the kids.  My middle dd was finished with all K work before the end of the year, and they had her starting on some 1st grade material to keep her challenged.

She said she won't do that because he'll be bored in 1st grade.  I can't agree.  He's already doing 1st grade work from his friend & it's not hard for him either. 

mommyof2kids401
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I had this problem with my daughters teacher last year. She wasn't even half way through the school year and she was getting bored and getting in trouble. She wasn't doing anything wrong. She would go ahead in her work and get in trouble for it. It took us two months and a visits with the principal and having our daughter evaluated for them to stop punishing her. She was only in Kindergarten when this happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)